Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

New Investor Questions

burwelbo

Registered
Hello Everyone

I am a Canadian Expat considering the purchase of some investment property in Ontario. I have a partner who lives in Canada and we had a few questions that maybe some of the experts can answer.

1. We have approached a Commercial Mortgage Broker and were told that their fees were 3% of the total mortgage amount, with typically 15% down. They prefered that we had a corporation and would require us to have a networth that would cover 25% of the financing. They also said we would be required to sign a personel guarantee on the mortgage. oes this sound typical? If not, can anyone recommend someone better?
2. Interest Rates: When evaluating property, is it typical to use current interest rates or is it more prudent to use an inflated interest rate? How does one minimize the risk against interest rate increases?
3. Insurance: What types of insurance do owners recommend acquiring? I have a friend from New Zealand who says that they buy rental default insurance. Is that possible in Canada?
4. Property Management: What would you typically look for in a property manager? What rates do they charge? We would like to get one Manager that we could rely on and use them over and over.
5. Joint Ventures: What terms are usually offered to persons who put up financing on JVs? How are these usually structured. We are looking at the 6-24 unit sized buildings.
6. Rent to Own: How does this structure work? We have been looking at a set of properties (3 6 plexs) and may approach the owner to buy 2 but want the option next year to purchase the 3rd. This is mostly do to available cash.

I know these are alot of questions. I am aware of all the tx considerations from my Accountant. Thanks in advance for any help or insites.

Regards
Bruce

JoeRagona

Registered
Hi Bruce,

Welcome to the investment side of real estate. You HAVE posted a lot of questions my friend
. All of the questions you have here have been answered in much detail through out the forum - may I suggest you search for your specific topics as they can lead to long threaded discussions.

This will also reduce the duplication on the site.

I can suggest however you look for a real estate specific motgage broker whom will be able to look at your entire plan and structure the correct products for you going forward...as well, if you are looking at rent to own as a new investor, you may want to try the simple buy and hold route first while you pick up as much information on the subject as possible.

My friend and REIN member Mark Loeffler has written a book about Rent To Own that you can pick up at Amazon or Chapters - this should answer your questions about the subject.

Good luck in your new path!

Top Bottom