Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

New Investor. Market Research for Quebec?

Tom. G

New Forum Member
Registered
Hello everyone,

My name is Tom. I have read through "Real Estate Investing in Canada" once, and now I'm re reading it a second time and going through the steps as they are laid out in the book.

I'm new to real estate investing (though I have previous experience in stock trading). I'm 25 and don't own any property yet. I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible and learn everything I can. Real estate investing and flipping houses always made a lot of sense to me, but until now I've never been in a position to dedicate enough time and resources to learning.

Now that I have the time, I'm eager to learn, although I've hit a few road blocks. I have searched online as best as I can to find resources of information and stats about Quebec and cities/towns within Quebec (I live in Montreal, more specifically, Beaconsfield). I've been trying to find information on average incomes/immigration/basically everything that is talked about throughout the book in order to find the best cities and towns to spend my time looking at, and I'm having a hard time finding any good sources of information. I've tried looking through these forums, but it seems I keep coming up short when it comes to Quebec.

My question is: Does anyone know of any good places for me to check for this kind of information? Are there any of you who reside in Quebec, or invest in Quebec who I would be able to speak with? Any and all information/suggestions/help is very much appreciated.

Thank you!

-Tom

P.S: I also posted this in the "Ask A REIN Coach (Certified REIA)" forum. I wasn't sure if it should be posted there, or here, so I posted in both places.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Check your own bank account depth first. Given you need 20% down for a rental property but only 5% for a personal residence it may make sense to buy a personal residence first, and perhaps sublease a few rooms or a basement.

Then, once cash is assessed: What is your income level to get a mortgage ? Talk to a mortgage broker next to see what kind of mortgage you can qualify for. Only then research in depth a city and one very small neighborhood. Ideal would be one with an upcoming transportation improvement that benefits this neighborhood ( road, bridge, LRT or subway) !

Many places make sense to buy in in Quebec, specifically those where you can hold with enough rent and eventual value upside. Most banks especially TD and Royal Bank have online accessible stats as does CMHC , statistics Canada and most chamber of commerce or business development departments of most cities.

Here are some by Royal Bank, for example: http://www.rbc.com/newsroom/news/2016/20160830-ha-factsheet.html

Or by CMHC for Sherbrooke as one example:
https://www03.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/catalog/productDetail.cfm?cat=92&itm=9&lang=eng

Last edited:

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
The city's economic development website usually has plenty of resources. Check through all the broker resources for multi-family: CBRE, Colliers, AY, JLL, CW.

Top Bottom