Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Net worth statement

JoefromTO

REIN Member
I`m trying to find something to guide me to put together my Net worth Statement. Does anyone know where I can find one?

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (JoefromTO @ Aug 9 2009, 12:09 PM) I`m trying to find something to guide me to put together my Net worth Statement. Does anyone know where I can find one?
a simple spreadsheet is best. Update it at least once a year or perhaps semi-annually .. or whenever a major event occurs like: a big bonus cheque came in, a property was purchased, a loan was retired ... !

List all assets you own (house, condos, cars, stocks, RRSP, RESP, ..) , and all liabilities (CC, car loans, mortgages) .. then total it !

Keep a copy for future years .. always fun to look back a year or 3 or 7 .. (maybe not a year as it was likely a bit higher a year ago in early 2008 in many cases ..)

JoefromTO

REIN Member
Thanks Thomas. In the case where I am refinancing a mortgage, won`t the bank require proof of everything? Also, when it comes to establishing the value on my primary residence which happends to be debt free, how do i do that? Also, how do I prove that my primary residence as well as investment properties belong to me? Would I use a current property tax assessments or do I have to produce the actual deeds?

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (JoefromTO @ Aug 9 2009, 01:32 PM) Thanks Thomas. In the case where I am refinancing a mortgage, won`t the bank require proof of everything? Also, when it comes to establishing the value on my primary residence which happends to be debt free, how do i do that? Also, how do I prove that my primary residence as well as investment properties belong to me? Would I use a current property tax assessments or do I have to produce the actual deeds?
proof is on title, is it not ?

keep / attach most recent copies of: mortgages, tax assessments, tax filings, rent receipts, appraisals, CC statement ..

the PNW should accurately reflect what your worth .. proving it is another matter. So if you bought a house 10 years ago for $200,000 and you show it as $420,000 then that is OK .. even if no proof is available .. you might have a tax assessment that shows $390,000 .. and you may know that yours is worth a bit more than that .. bank will ask if they need proof .. but attach tax assessment and a note stating "many homes sell for more than that" or "here is a recent MLS report showing similar houses so I think $420,000 is a fair estimate .. s.th. like that as you obviously won`t appraise your house every 12 months!

The more backup docs the better .. you could refer to that in your spreadsheet in a column: See Appendix # 23, 25, and 28 .. and then label your appendices accordingly .. over time the one page doc will be a 4kg binder (or 2 !!)

ChrisDavies

Registered
QUOTE (JoefromTO @ Aug 9 2009, 12:32 PM) Thanks Thomas. In the case where I am refinancing a mortgage, won`t the bank require proof of everything?Also, how do I prove that my primary residence as well as investment properties belong to me? Would I use a current property tax assessments or do I have to produce the actual deeds?

Not necessarily, although if you`ve had it for a while your prior T1 General will show details. This can be important if you have properties where you`re not on title, only with a JV agreement. Betweent the agreement, your T776s and income filings you`ll show as the beneficial owner and that should be good enough. Your broker should help you make sure you have the right paperwork the first time.

Top Bottom