Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Need urgent advice on evicting a garage tenant

samcansam

Registered
Hello,

I rented the garage in an investment property to a lady as "Storage and/or Parking" only. The police conducted a search of the garage and ended up seizing part of the contents as "solen property". The garage still contains the remainder of here belongings.

Since the property was proven to be used for unlawful purpose, I issued her 24-hour notice to vacate. She did not vacate and phoned me threatening and yelling. Any advice on a paralegal in Calgary to get her out of the garage?

Thanks,
Mike

melposzwa

Registered
Hi Mike,

Sorry about your situation. I`m not sure if I can help but I do know a great Real Estate Paralegal who might be able to give you some advice.
Her contact information is as follows:
Venka Adzic
Ph:640-0455
e-mail: [email protected]

Melissa Poszwa

samcansam

Registered
Thank you for the advice.

The tenant vacated the garage and contacted me to get her damage deposit.
It is such a lesson to me to do my due deligence every time even in a garage rental.

mortgageman

Registered
Glad to hear she`s gone. How did you get her out? It`s great to know what tactics people use so we can learn and increase our the tools at our disposal.
Thanks
Jason

sjr1230

Registered
In Ontario, the garage rental does not fall under the "tenant act" and it is a business rental. Thus, your ability evict someone is much easier. Notify them, allow reasonable amount of time to remove belongings and rent it out. You can/should store the belongings for reasonable amount of time.

GarthChapman

Registered
Go to this Topic titled Garage Rental to find important info on renting garages.

The posts describe, among other information, that in Alberta if you use the proper `warehouseman` lease doc you will not be goverened by the Landlord Tenancy Act, and will therefore be in a much better position if trouble arises with the tenancy.

Hope that helps,

JPAQ

Registered
QUOTE (samcansam @ Oct 8 2007, 09:42 PM) Hello,

I rented the garage in an investment property to a lady as "Storage and/or Parking" only. The police conducted a search of the garage and ended up seizing part of the contents as "solen property". The garage still contains the remainder of here belongings.

Since the property was proven to be used for unlawful purpose, I issued her 24-hour notice to vacate. She did not vacate and phoned me threatening and yelling. Any advice on a paralegal in Calgary to get her out of the garage?

Thanks,
Mike

Hello Mike,

She clearly crossed the line with the stolen property in your garage. This makes the lease null and void. Get rid of her things. Play hard ball with her if you need to.

Jason

Top Bottom