Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Need an access database programmer for a contract

RedlineBrett

Registered
Anyone have anyone to refer? I can`t find any software programs out there that I like so I need to build my own.

I doubt this will be a one-off... it will lead to modifications and other business so while I love the idea of spending pennies on someone in India I usually gravitate towards Canadian companies or contractors.

ChrisDavies

Registered
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Oct 14 2010, 09:54 AM) Anyone have anyone to refer? I can`t find any software programs out there that I like so I need to build my own.

I doubt this will be a one-off... it will lead to modifications and other business so while I love the idea of spending pennies on someone in India I usually gravitate towards Canadian companies or contractors.

You might try Highrise by 37 Signals, but I might have someone for you in another month or so....

MikeMcC874

Registered
Do you really want an Access programmer specifically or are you looking to write something a little more robust\long-lived?

Is this a legacy app that needs maintenance or something you want done new? Your comment seem like its a new project.

Alvaro Sanchez

Ottawa-Gatineau Investor
Registered
I might be interest as always looking for new projects... I do custom business applications (web/desktop/etc)

QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Oct 14 2010, 12:54 PM) Anyone have anyone to refer? I can`t find any software programs out there that I like so I need to build my own.

tonyla

Registered
Unless you have a legacy constraint or a very specific requirement, I would highly recommend going with a more robust database. I get nervous when people talk about using Acess.

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (tonyla @ Oct 14 2010, 10:24 PM) Unless you have a legacy constraint or a very specific requirement, I would highly recommend going with a more robust database. I get nervous when people talk about using Acess.

Thanks for your feedback, it is much appreciated

I mentioned access due to my familiarity with it from my days as an engineer. I don`t have any constraints here other than I want to be using this thing by Jan 1 and I don`t want to pay $10,000 to get it up and running. I also want it to be flexible to grow as my business grows and I don`t want it to be so highly specialized that my programmer will have me by the neck when the thing breaks or needs upgrades.

All I really need is a database plus some simple report generation from it. I`ve got around 1000 data points stored on spreadsheets and paper and it`s time for the next step.

JimWhitelaw

Registered
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Oct 15 2010, 06:04 AM) All I really need is a database plus some simple report generation from it. I`ve got around 1000 data points stored on spreadsheets and paper and it`s time for the next step.
I have used these two systems fairly extensively in the past for creating database driven apps. Might find you can do what you want without any custom programming.

http://www.quickbase.com/
http://www.zoho.com/creator/index.html

Also, you could try posting a description of what you want done to elance.com or vworker.com and see what kind of bids/responses you get.

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (JimWhitelaw @ Oct 15 2010, 07:51 AM) I have used these two systems fairly extensively in the past for creating database driven apps. Might find you can do what you want without any custom programming.

http://www.quickbase.com/
http://www.zoho.com/creator/index.html

Also, you could try posting a description of what you want done to elance.com or vworker.com and see what kind of bids/responses you get.

Thanks Jim will take a look!

tonyla

Registered
Acess has some limitations, but on the other hand it is quick and dirty. Depends how much functionality you need from it. If the ceiling is that you will need some moderately complex reports generated from a moderately large data set then access might not be a bad solution (cost wise). Some weaknesses are:
1) multiuser access is terrible since it is just a file. So if you want it shared across machines and multiple users it will be a problem.
2) It`s SQL engine is weird and incomplete.

If it`s a small non-critical app, access might be enough. In that case I`d do what Jim suggested. Post it up on elance or something like that. Feel free to throw the description my way and I`ll give you my 2 cents for what ever it`s worth. (FYI I play a software developer on TV, but I have no interest in the contract other than helping a fellow REIN member out)

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (tonyla @ Oct 15 2010, 03:55 PM) Acess has some limitations, but on the other hand it is quick and dirty. Depends how much functionality you need from it. If the ceiling is that you will need some moderately complex reports generated from a moderately large data set then access might not be a bad solution (cost wise). Some weaknesses are:
1) multiuser access is terrible since it is just a file. So if you want it shared across machines and multiple users it will be a problem.
2) It`s SQL engine is weird and incomplete.

If it`s a small non-critical app, access might be enough. In that case I`d do what Jim suggested. Post it up on elance or something like that. Feel free to throw the description my way and I`ll give you my 2 cents for what ever it`s worth. (FYI I play a software developer on TV, but I have no interest in the contract other than helping a fellow REIN member out)

Thanks again. I had a local come by today for a consultation. Will have a scope and a quote from them early next week... will bounce them off you to see if we`re in the ballpark.

I never thought of the network access / multi-user access. hmm.

crooksb

Registered
Hi Brett

I could take a look at your requirements for you. I, along with Garth Chapman, have developed the Rema software program. It uses an Access database to store its data.

Brian Crooks

Top Bottom