Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

My First Ontario Quick Turn Deal!

BenSanderson

Registered
Hi everyone,

In case anyone is still skeptical or unsure as to whether the Ron
LeGrand 'Quick Turn' method is viable in Ontario, I'd like to share the
details of my first successful Quick Turn experience.

This might be a bit verbose, but I'll share some of the finer details for those who are interested.

A motivated seller found me through my Kijiji ad, went to my
website and filled out the application form. She was nice enough to
leave a short message in the form telling me about her situation. She
and her husband own this little rental house in Listowel (30 mins North
West of Waterloo, population 13,000) that they needed to sell before the
end of February. The reason is that they are closing on a new house
they bought and need the equity out of the rental house to help finance
the down payment for the new place (not an uncommon situation). It
sounded kind of interesting, but Listowel is a small town and at least
an hour's drive from where I live, so I wasn't too sure if I even wanted
to follow up on it.

Well, I'm VERY glad that I did.

As I talked to the seller on
the phone, she went over her situation and asked me about my business. I
explained that I'm a real estate investor that specializes in putting
together 'win-win' real estate transactions for buyers and sellers alike. I told her that my focus is
helping families qualify to own their own homes through my alternative
financing programs and that I find many of these homes by working with
sellers who need quick closings, etc.

So then she tells me, "Oh, that's great, because the tenants we have
living at the house have been bugging us to buy the house on a rent to
own program, only we have no idea how to do that. Do you think you could
help them out, too?". It was all I could do to keep from dropping the
phone and dancing around the room. Trying to stay as calm and
professional as I could, I told her that they would have to qualify
first, and so I asked her a few questions about the tenants. There
didn't seem to be much that would preclude them from qualifying, so I
told her that, even though Listowel is quite outside my geographic
region, we had the makings of what could be the win-win type of deal
that I strive for.

Anyway, I won't bore you with all the back and forth negotiations
with both the sellers and their existing tenants that kept me very
busy for three days straight. I will simply list the highlights!

[*]
The sellers agreed to sell me the house for $105,000, which is worth roughly $120 - $130K (yes, it's small - 2
bed, 1 bath - but a great location and the tenants absolutely love it)
[*]The sellers were quite happy to have me take over their payments of $650 per month
[*]
We negotiated an up front payment to them of $8000 (this is what they needed to close on their new home)

I borrowed private money at 15%, enough to cover this amount plus legal fees and
have the interest accrue with yearly payouts until I'm paid off some time in the future

The sellers weren't all that concerned about when I would cash them out because that $8000 was the bulk of their equity anyway

We negotiated a 3 year balloon payment (which wouldn't be a problem considering such a low cost on the house)

Their mortgage renewal is 3.5 years away, so that won't play into our deal at all
[*]
The tenants (thankfully!) met my qualification criteria and agreed to buy the house from me for $140,000(!) in 12 to 24 months
[*]
They also agreed to pay me $1100 per month with a $300 monthly credit going toward the purchase

They have so far given me $2000 of an agreed upon Option Fee of $4000, with the remainder being paid off by mid-April

I used Peter Cass as my lawyer to complete this deal, and he and his
partner April Hubert at Cass & Bishop have been instrumental in
getting this deal done. At first, the seller's lawyer tried to kill our
deal, telling them that they should never have signed my offer and that
he would try to find a way to back them out of it. Thankfully, Peter was
able to calm him down and bring him around to our way of thinking.
Ultimately, their lawyer just wanted his clients protected, and so we
wrote the Schedule A - Agreement For Sale in such a way that it ensured
their security in the event that I had to walk away from our
arrangement. The sellers were quite happy with everything and had no
reservations about final sign-off.

I'll
admit that I was kind of skeptical going into the LeGrand weekend back
last October, and I even had a few reservations about signing up with
Brian and Lynette Wolff's mentorship program. I really did wonder if
there were truly any deals
out there in Ontario like the ones they talked about up on stage.

Well, to quote the Monkees - Now I'm a believer!

Now that the dust has settled, I've secured a house that cost me none of my own money
and none of my credit. It's putting $4000 in my pocket almost
immediately and will cash flow $450 per month for at least 18 months.
Better yet, that final payout will give me a net profit anywhere from $25,000 to
$35,000 depending on when it happens. And if the tenants ever decide to
leave, I have enough free equity and such cheap monthly payments that I
can afford to put a bit of money into renovations and either re-RTO it
or sell it outright for a profit. There is no downside.

But this is the best part of all.... Both the sellers and the tenants have told me numerous times how lucky and happy they are
that they found me and that I'm able to help them out of their
situation! Unbelievable! Not too long ago I used to think that
you couldn't make any kind of serious money in business without screwing
somebody over. I just proved to myself that, not only is it possible,
it's not that difficult either.

From the conversations I've had with others like me who are getting
started with Quick Turn in Ontario, I'm hearing quite a bit of
frustration and even disappointment in this strategy. If there's
anything I've learned from my experience so far, it's that the system
DOES work, but that it is absolutely dependent on finding the right kind
of seller, and that this seller is a true 'needle in a haystack' to
acquire. Your marketing effort is crucial, and probably one of the most
difficult aspects of your business to justify spending money on in the beginning, as
there will most likely be long stretches of time where you have no
decent leads whatsoever. You must have faith that these types of
motivated sellers are out there, and the only way they will find you is
if you keep your marketing machine running. Once you find a true
'prospect' there is a good chance they will be very willing to work with
you, as you will be helping them in a way that most others can't.

Just keep moving forward, keep learning, keep taking action and the deals WILL present themselves. It's only a matter of time.

And whenever possible, KEEP NETWORKING! Without the support of my
business partner, Brian McGuckian, the Wolff's, Peter Cass, the other
REIN "Quick Turners" who meet with me regularly, and of course my
incredibly supportive wife, this deal would never have happened. To repeat what so many of you already know, a great
network is essential for your education, motivation and
self-confidence.

Thanks for hearing me out! Now on to the next one!

R

RussellWestcott

Thanks for Sharing Ben, that just made my day! What a great way to starting a Friday morning. Congratulations your perseverance has and will continue to pay off.

Keep up the great work!

David George

Registered
Hi Ben, Great job!

As we talked previously, your first deal has re-confirmed that this is possible in Ontario and that going to the LeGrand event back in October was a great investment and it will pay if we keep moving forward and take action!

I will see you at he next REIN "Quick Turners" meeting.

housingrental

Registered
Hi Ben

I congratulate you in your success - hard work pays off in time.... However a different perspective from all the "Great to read!" from above posters is appropriate:

From reading your posts it seems tenant could have provided sellers with $2000

That leaves $6000 more the sellers needed

What cost of funds would the $6000 have been to the sellers for 1-2 years....? At most $3000 in interest...

So how I would read this is:

Seller and tenant got screwed on apx. 30% of house value mark up between the two parties. With just a little more knowledge - or a few hours talking with a few mortgages brokers or private lenders - they could have done the transaction among themselves - and both Tenant and Home seller would be MUCH BETTER OFF

than having done business with you as you have currently structured it.

Exploiting lack of knowledge of the parties you are doing business with - even if legal - is still exploitation.

Legality is neccessary but not sufficient by itself to guarantee a transaction is ethical.

How many years of saving from someone purchasing a $140K house is needed to save up extra tens of thousands of dollars? Will this require them to work 5 years longer because of the mark up in price? Can you really ask yourself "is this ethical" and answer "YES!" if you were not the one pocketing $35,000?

How about feeling good about spending 10 minutes to point sellers in the right direction on how to get what they wanted and story could have been:

Tenant bought house from seller for $125,000 - Seller got to close on new house - I got to benefit from satisfaction of helping lender or broker get more business and creating a true WIN WIN WIN for lender, seller, tenant..... Seems like a happier ending....

BenSanderson

Registered
Hey Adam,

I'm not sure this is the place for debates on ethics. I believe everything I've done in this deal is ethical, and I've given you a lengthy rationale in a private email.

Thanks for your input, and best regards,

TodorYordanov

Registered
Ben,

I appreciate you sharing the deal with numbers and in detail. It is very useful, keep on doing it. Great work.

Todor

housingrental

Registered
Hi Ben

I posted the above - instead of initially sending you a private email (though will in response to your email) - for the exact purpose of debating ethics...

As:

a) I believe you are an ethical person and that is your intent in any transaction you do

b) I doubt few if any readers of this thread will view your actions as unethical - and the majority likely do not agree with my post

and of course:

c) To start a discussion on ethics in real estate investments... from reading posts on REINspace and talking with investors it seems many are quite comfortable with the ethics of these type of transactions... my experience talking with non-real estate investors - the vast majority of people - provides a different perspective.... If a transaction is ethical it should be able to be defended with reason.... The response I've often heard "it is legal so it's OK to do" does not give me the best feeling to listen to....

BenSanderson

Registered
Hi Adam,

I appreciate your desire to debate the ethics of such a transaction, and I think it does warrant healthy debate as the Ron LeGrand style quick turn strategy is often misunderstood as being a win-lose system. I would be more than happy to defend my views on the subject, however this section of the forums is for success stories, and I think it might be better to convey our thoughts on quick turn ethics in another more appropriate section - perhaps the Quick Turn or General Discussion sections? :)

Moderators, could someone please relocate these last few ethics-related posts to a more appropriate venue? Much appreciated!

RedlineBrett

Registered
[quote user=BenSanderson]Hi Adam,

The Ron LeGrand style quick turn strategy is often misunderstood as being a win-lose system.

Programs like Ron Legrand are marketed as a win/win/win to appeal to a broader market and sell more subscriptions. No investor signs up to help others... they sign up to help themselves make money.

Win/win/win has no meaning without numbers to give it context. Does the investor win if they make $1? What about the seller that loses more selling to the quick-turner than they would selling conventionally? They did sell their house though.. so they won right?

BenSanderson

Registered
Hey Brett,

You're absolutely right about how the LeGrand method is marketed. But let's get some perspective here. The REIN system is also marketed as WIN/WIN because we're providing a valuable service to renters everywhere. Could we abuse the system and turn it into a win/lose? Without a doubt. And I'm sure there are a few REIN members out there that really push the limits on what most would consider ethical business practise. But who are we to determine what everyone's ethics should be? The reality is that it's a sliding scale.

Here is the key point that so many people miss when they hear about this system: You are assuming that every party in every transaction places money as their number one priority. As the investor, that's my priority for sure, but this is not always the case for the seller. Because we're investors, we have to put money first, but just because we're wired this way doesn't mean everyone is. None of us can know the true motivations behind why people do what they do. And at the end of day, if the seller is happy (even enthusiastic) to trade some equity in their house for the peace of mind of letting me get them out of a difficult situation, who am I to suggest they're wrong? They told me what they wanted, and it wasn't money. If it was, there is no way I could do business with them. No harm done. I'll reiterate again how rare these types of sellers are, but if you can locate them, then this system can work in an ethical manner.

Again, we can apply your criticisms to practically any business practice. Why charge $1300/mo for rent when $1150 will suffice for the investor? Won't the poor tenant have to work that much longer at their crappy job to afford your 'unethical' rent? Shouldn't Tim Horton's make healthy eating a priority? Sure they'll have to give up selling sugar-packed donuts and muffins, losing billions in the process, but think of how many people they'll help! Are these practices unethical? Who are any of us to say exactly what that is?

As a related anecdote, the sellers of this quick turn property requested a few references on me (as should be expected with a less-than-common business model), and I was happy to oblige. On the drive home after meeting with them, I was able to contact two private sellers I had purchased from as well as five of my current tenant/buyers. All seven parties were more than happy to vouch for me, some of them even volunteering to write letters on my behalf. And I know it's because I treat every one of them with the utmost respect, and go the extra mile to help them where I can. Yes, I'm making money off of them (and they are all aware of this), but they're happy and I'm happy, so where is the problem?

Is the LeGrand system ethical? It depends on who uses it.

Am I ethical when using it? There is no doubt in my mind that I am.

Not to keep on about this, but we REALLY need to relocate this kind of debate to another thread. I'll be contacting someone to do just that.

And thanks to everyone else for your kind words! It's always great to share a story like this when you have such a receptive audience!

JimWhitelaw

Registered
[quote user=housingrental] With just a little more knowledge - or a few hours talking with a few mortgages brokers or private lenders - they could have done the transaction among themselves - and both Tenant and Home seller would be MUCH BETTER OFF

What you state is true, however:

1) Knowledge has value.

2) Time has value.

3) Convenience has value.

4) Confidence has value.

It's possible that the tenant buyers and the sellers could have put this together themselves and saved money, but realistically, they probably wouldn't. Without Ben in the middle brokering the transaction, educating both parties and doing the "legwork", there's little chance it would have come together and neither of those parties would have what they want.

The same could be said of other related fields, like say, property management (just pulling random ideas from a hat) . Many real estate investors choose to utilize the services of a property manager, even though they could make more money and possibly offer more competitive rents if they got educated and did all their management themselves and dealt directly with their own tenants. Perhaps both investor and tenant would be much better off without the property manager in the middle of the transaction. So why do investors employ PM's? Is it possible that they provide knowledge, time, convenience, confidence that the investor doesn't have and is willing to pay for?

KULA

REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT ADVISOR
Registered
Wow Ben, Congratulations! Thank-you for posting your story. It is very encouraging to me. I did the same Ron LeGrand course and am doing the mentoring as well. I have been discouraged because I have not been able to find win/win deals ` although I have been able to help some people along the way.

Your story is very encouraging to me and I am sure, to others as well. There are many of us who are trying to invest with integrity. Thank-you, for your story, and leveraging your time and knowledge to help people, while making money yourself. Well done.

Top Bottom