Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Moving from Equity to Income

invst4profit

Registered
Lucky you are missing the point entirely. Also the rent on a $160,000 needs to be $1600.

You have it in your head that these properties do not exist, or that finding them is easy. Both counts are wrong. They are there but you appear to want to cherry pick without working. You want return without effort. That does not exist.
I think your personal career choice has handy caped your efforts as an investor.

If investing in rental properties was easy everyone would be doing it and, especially in Ontario, LLs would have no complaints.

You are so fixed on the market you are working that you are investing with blinders on. You chose not to believe. That is of course your prerogative but many of us do know they are there because we own them.

Toronto is not the center of the universe, expand your horizons or live with the reality of your chosen market.

The bottom line is that Toronto, cash flow wise, is a terrible market. Smaller cities and towns are best in Ontario. The farther from T.O. the better.

housingrental

Registered
There are literally thousands on mls currently...re my other posts though it makes much more sense to go for student housing though in KW...

Here`s one.. slightly less rent but slightly under 160k so similiar rent to purchase price
Ok, so give me an example of where I can get rent of $1.300 on a $160K SFH purchased at market value where there is not a catch? (ie: needs repairs, LTO, illegal apartments.)

housingrental

Registered
Waterloo has had systems in place for many years ... so very easy to verify and ensure a property your purchasing is legal...

QUOTE (luckyluciano @ Sep 27 2009, 08:42 AM) Does that property meet the by-laws allowing for student rentals as some cities & towns are beginning to crack down on this?

luckyluciano

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Sep 27 2009, 12:51 PM) There are literally thousands on mls currently...re my other posts though it makes much more sense to go for student housing though in KW...

Here`s one.. slightly less rent but slightly under 160k so similiar rent to purchase price
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx...pertyId=8657386
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx...pertyId=8527516

Or if you have cash go for something like this to add value (and try to pick up a far bit under asking price):
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx...pertyId=8733736

And in Kitchener:
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx...pertyId=8712546
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx...pertyId=8733755

OK, so I checked MLS.CA and yes SFH are renting for $1200-$1300 per month only they are fully detached some with 2 car garage, so why would a tenant pay $1300 for a smaller townhouse? Actually those types of homes you posted such as townhomes with $300 maintenance fees and climbing are available for rent at $1100 and with 5% down at 3.8% amm over 25 yrs actually loses alot of money, mtg is $772, taxes around $200, maintenance $300 is negative cash flow of $200 and more. So are we strickly talking student rentals?

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (luckyluciano @ Sep 26 2009, 01:58 PM) That. Is some incredible rent you are collecting for a $140k property. Do you have the basement rented or is it a student rental? Is that current market value or did you buy it 10 years ago.

Kevin and I with many others invest in Hamilton, just next door, great cash flow, a mayor who gets it, pro-active EDO, ongoing infrastructure initiatives and did I mention - NO GARBAGE STRIKES

NeilUttamsingh

Registered
QUOTE (EdRenkema @ Sep 27 2009, 10:46 PM) Kevin and I with many others invest in Hamilton, just next door, great cash flow, a mayor who gets it, pro-active EDO, ongoing infrastructure initiatives and did I mention - NO GARBAGE STRIKES

Hamilton is where it`s at.

luckyluciano

Registered
By using a 35 year ammortization, all you are doing is deferring the mtg paydown component. For those buyers who are buying with 5-10% down and not paying down any principle during their pay locked in period, well, let`s just say I feel for them. This scenario shows a poor cap rate and only works because of the 25% down. Nothing special here.
QUOTE (kboughen @ Sep 26 2009, 11:24 AM) I avoid properties where most of your rent is going to pay the mortgage with a 75% LTV; my first filter is adequate cash flow. Once you get to 75% LTV it`s not that difficult to achieve much more than $100 in monthly cash flow. I have included a sample below with today`s 5 year fixed rate and a 35 year amortization (current cash flow is much better with current variable mortgage of 1.45% and 40 year amortization). There are several successful investors on this Forum that use different calculations and would never touch these deals, but they fit nicely into my investment goals. Purchase Price: $ 140,000 Mortgage at 75% LTV: $ 105,000 Mortgage payment, 3.89%/35yr: $ 456 Condo Fee: $ 179 Property Taxes: $ 169 Insurance: $13 Fixed Monthly costs: $ 817 Rent: $ 1,320 Gross Income: $ 503 15% Rent for repairs, maintenance, management: $ 198 Budgeted cash flow: $ 305

housingrental

Registered
It depends on the particular property / location / condition
I have rented places that are comparable to some of those for sale listed between $1200-$1300. (And also seen other comparable to some of those listed that have been rented for same).

Yes student rentals generally provide much better opportunities in that area but some (few) non student properties are doable with good selection. This is helped along by extra cash... Often $5-10K cash to clean up property goes along way to add value... so need to pickup townhouse for 150k put in $5-10K in updating and upgrades and be in for <$160K but get $1200-$1300 / rent.

QUOTE (luckyluciano @ Sep 27 2009, 10:09 PM) OK, so I checked MLS.CA and yes SFH are renting for $1200-$1300 per month only they are fully detached some with 2 car garage, so why would a tenant pay $1300 for a smaller townhouse? Actually those types of homes you posted such as townhomes with $300 maintenance fees and climbing are available for rent at $1100 and with 5% down at 3.8% amm over 25 yrs actually loses alot of money, mtg is $772, taxes around $200, maintenance $300 is negative cash flow of $200 and more. So are we strickly talking student rentals?

andyr

Registered
QUOTE (manojsingh @ Sep 27 2009, 09:03 AM) You can buy townhouse in Hamilton for 150000 and rent is $1300.

Must be nice! I guess I need to move. *sigh*

I actually found a place I can get for just under 100,000 in Abbotsford BC with a 750 rent which fits the 9% rule seeing as interest rates are so low. Hard to come by but they`re there.

ChrisDavies

Registered
QUOTE (luckyluciano @ Sep 27 2009, 04:00 AM) Ok, so give me an example of where I can get rent of $1.300 on a $160K SFH purchased at market value where there is not a catch? (ie: needs repairs, LTO, illegal apartments.)

If you think that successful people are just rolling along and buying at market value, you need to give your head a shake. Yeah, maybe you can buy it market for $160k, but then you go:

- Motivated vendor, wants to close cash next week: drop another $10k from the purchase price.
- Uuuugly kitchen. Takes you $5k to fix. Drop another $10k.
- Crap all over the yard, over grown trees and peeling paint on porch and trim. You fix for $5k. Drop another $10k.

Now you`re $20k ahead of the game and have a $160k place for $130k plus $10k in renos. I see `em all the time in Edmonton.

ChrisDavies

Registered
QUOTE (andyr @ Sep 29 2009, 09:59 PM) Must be nice! I guess I need to move. *sigh*

You don`t have to live there to buy there. I`ve got units in Kelowna and Edmonton with the help of family/friends/managers.

QUOTE (andyr @ Sep 29 2009, 09:59 PM) I actually found a place I can get for just under 100,000 in Abbotsford BC with a 750 rent which fits the 9% rule seeing as interest rates are so low. Hard to come by but they`re there.

Be sure to post the details here to have other people help trouble-shoot things.

JoefromTO

REIN Member
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Sep 26 2009, 08:24 AM) I have read the book and agree with most advice but like most people add to book knowledge with my own real life experience.

Paying down a mortgage does not generate positive cash flow and does not make you wealthy.
To own a home outright means you have put real cash into paying down a mortgage. If you have the cash and tie it up in a mortgage it does not increase the value of your investment. The longer it sits there the more opportunities you miss to make more money.
If on the other hand you ignore the mortgage debt on a investment property and put your cash elsewhere it can grow in value.
Cash must earn it`s keep on it`s own not simply by reducing the interest on a loan. Unless of course the interest is greater than any other return you can achieve. If that is the best you can do with cash then you have not learned from Don`s book.

Paying down a mortgage is a "money safe" move not a "money smart" move.
As they say.........The higher the risk the greater the reward. There is virtually no risk in paying off a mortgage.

I wanted to make a comment regarding your comment...if paying down debt does not increase cashflow and make you rich...what exactly does? By the way, this is not meant as a stab by any means, just asking a general question.

So here`s my observation/opinion. By paying down debt, your reducing the cost of borrowing, which means that when the time comes to renew or refinance, your monthly cost should be lower(depending on how much debt and the current interest rates at that time)...which would increase your cashflow. Also, by paying down debt, your increasing your equity on THAT property. Now I realize that many investors have the opinion that the more property you buy, the potential wealth you should acquire. There is a constant cost associate with this as well. You have to use todays cash to buy a property and borrow other peoples money. Then after a number of years, you can pull equity out of that property to purchase others...thereby increasing the size of your portfolio.

Buying more property that has alot of debt on is how you acquire paper equity...but its the debts getting paid off that fills the empty equity. Yes.. there is appreciation equity as well, but a conservative mind knows not to factor that in...so its the forced savings accounts that properties provide that give a form of wealth creation, on top of the positive cashflow that a "smart" buy provides.

So what I`m saying is...who is to say what being wealthy is? For example, lets say you own 20 single family homes with a value of $150,000.00 each with a 90% loan to value provides $100.00 monthly positive cashflow, so that 20 x $100= $2,000.00/month or $24,000.00/year and on paper you have a net worth property wise of $150,000.00 x 20= $3,000,000.00. Your true net worth on paper is 10% of that=$300,000.00.

Or you have 10 single family properties with no debt each worth the same $150,000.00, but now they are each bringing in $1,000.00/month positive cashflow, which is $1,000.00/month x 10= $10,000.00/month or $120,000.00/year. Plus you have a net worth of $150,000.00 x 10= 1,500,000.00 real net worth.

coloro:#000000-->The first thing each person has to do is figure out what wealth means to them. I don`t know what wealth means to you, but if I was making $120,000.00/year...thats not bad!

Now, I personally am no where near that goal yet...soooo...I have to follow the on paper path first! Eventually I will decide when I have either accumulated enough or wish to buy more.

I have this personal theory...There is an obvious cost of living. Depending on how you live your life, it can cost little or alot. Some people spend over $40,000.00 year when you consider the obvious stuff like home expenses, car expenses, private schools, vacations, etc...So if you have an expensive cost of living, you need to replace that cost AND save to invest...thats IF you don`t go the route with joint ventures and some people chose not too, they want to invest on their own. So its my opinion that in order to be able to reasonably save and invest (slowest way to do it...i know) you should bank at least twice your annual expenses..so in this case $80,000...we`re talking after tax dollars.

Now, true wealth in my opinion is where you can stop working and at least maintain your own standard of living. So that would mean that rental properties would at least need to replace the $80,000.00/year total income...BUT to truly feel wealthy means being able to enjoy your life<insert personal belize here> and your income is providing for it. If someone is frugal with the extra $40,000/year income after personal expenses, they could buy another property in the $200,000.00 range every 1.5 years or so with conventional lending terms.

So that $80,000/year income could continue to grow with the purchase of more properties to a point where someone is making as much as they want...

So please understand something, the reason why I added this comment is because Iv`e seen more than once in these forums how people say you don`t become wealthy this way, and you don`t increase cashflow that way...instead...provide an example of what wealth means to you so that others can see what your using as your vision.

luckyluciano

Registered
EXCELLENT POST! Exactly my sentiments! I am 47 years young, I need to relace my income which is a multiple 6 figure category. Not bragging just an illustration! I am scared to death of retiring below my current standards or better. To me this means I have not planned my life well. Retiring with a $40k. Per year lifestyle is easier to achieve compared to a 6 or 7 figure passive income. To me Net Worth and passive income are the true measures of wealth. To achieve large passive incomes, it`s best to have properties paid off and at the same time reducing exposure. I want to golf the world`s best courses while most others are watching TV with lot`s of time and little money! Just sharing my opinion. I`d like to hear other`s. This an excellent thread by the way!

QUOTE (JoefromTO @ Sep 30 2009, 11:27 AM) I wanted to make a comment regarding your comment...if paying down debt does not increase cashflow and make you rich...what exactly does? By the way, this is not meant as a stab by any means, just asking a general question. So here`s my observation/opinion. By paying down debt, your reducing the cost of borrowing, which means that when the time comes to renew or refinance, your monthly cost should be lower(depending on how much debt and the current interest rates at that time)...which would increase your cashflow. Also, by paying down debt, your increasing your equity on THAT property. Now I realize that many investors have the opinion that the more property you buy, the potential wealth you should acquire. There is a constant cost associate with this as well. You have to use todays cash to buy a property and borrow other peoples money. Then after a number of years, you can pull equity out of that property to purchase others...thereby increasing the size of your portfolio. Buying more property that has alot of debt on is how you acquire paper equity...but its the debts getting paid off that fills the empty equity. Yes.. there is appreciation equity as well, but a conservative mind knows not to factor that in...so its the forced savings accounts that properties provide that give a form of wealth creation, on top of the positive cashflow that a "smart" buy provides. So what I`m saying is...who is to say what being wealthy is? For example, lets say you own 20 single family homes with a value of $150,000.00 each with a 90% loan to value provides $100.00 monthly positive cashflow, so that 20 x $100= $2,000.00/month or $24,000.00/year and on paper you have a net worth property wise of $150,000.00 x 20= $3,000,000.00. Your true net worth on paper is 10% of that=$300,000.00. Or you have 10 single family properties with no debt each worth the same $150,000.00, but now they are each bringing in $1,000.00/month positive cashflow, which is $1,000.00/month x 10= $10,000.00/month or $120,000.00/year. Plus you have a net worth of $150,000.00 x 10= 1,500,000.00 real net worth. The first thing each person has to do is figure out what wealth means to them. I don`t know what wealth means to you, but if I was making $120,000.00/year...thats not bad! Now, I personally am no where near that goal yet...soooo...I have to follow the on paper -coloro:#000000-->path first! Eventually I will decide when I have either accumulated enough or wish to buy more. I have this personal theory...There is an obvious cost of living. Depending on how you live your life, it can cost little or alot. Some people spend over $40,000.00 year when you consider the obvious stuff like home expenses, car expenses, private schools, vacations, etc...So if you have an expensive cost of living, you need to replace that cost AND save to invest...thats IF you don`t go the route with joint ventures and some people chose not too, they want to invest on their own. So its my opinion that in order to be able to reasonably save and invest (slowest way to do it...i know) you should bank at least twice your annual expenses..so in this case $80,000...we`re talking after tax dollars. Now, true wealth in my opinion is where you can stop working and at least maintain your own standard of living. So that would mean that rental properties would at least need to replace the $80,000.00/year total income...BUT to truly feel wealthy means being able to enjoy your life<insert personal belize here> and your income is providing for it. If someone is frugal with the extra $40,000/year income after personal expenses, they could buy another property in the $200,000.00 range every 1.5 years or so with conventional lending terms. So that $80,000/year income could continue to grow with the purchase of more properties to a point where someone is making as much as they want... So please understand something, the reason why I added this comment is because Iv`e seen more than once in these forums how people say you don`t become wealthy this way, and you don`t increase cashflow that way...instead...provide an example of what wealth means to you so that others can see what your using as your vision.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (luckyluciano @ Oct 3 2009, 09:48 AM) EXCELLENT POST! Exactly my sentiments! I am 47 years young, I need to relace my income which is a multiple 6 figure category. Not bragging just an illustration! I am scared to death of retiring below my current standards or better. To me this means I have not planned my life well. Retiring with a $40k. Per year lifestyle is easier to achieve compared to a 6 or 7 figure passive income. To me Net Worth and passive income are the true measures of wealth. To achieve large passive incomes, it`s best to have properties paid off and at the same time reducing exposure. I want to golf the world`s best courses while most others are watching TV with lot`s of time and little money! Just sharing my opinion. I`d like to hear other`s. This an excellent thread by the way!
Some thoughts: save some man ... or better: save a LOT man ! Only 40K saved with multiple six figure income ? That`s a life-style choice. If you continue saving only a 100K/year for 10 years that is $1M .. @ 8% that would be 80K/year in income .. plus work part-time .. what is wrong with that scenario ?

You do not need a high multiple six figure income to live well.

Why would you "retire" anyway ? It gets boring after the 8th golf-course !

There are also income streams beyond real estate, or some based on real estate but not residential that may be better for income than single family homes, such as: storage facilities, industrial parks, shopping centers, office towers .. public REITs or medium levered apartment buildings. Is the goal INCOME .. or NETWORTH improvement ? Different asset classes yield different results.

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (ChrisDavies @ Sep 30 2009, 02:59 AM) If you think that successful people are just rolling along and buying at market value, you need to give your head a shake. Yeah, maybe you can buy it market for $160k, but then you go:

- Motivated vendor, wants to close cash next week: drop another $10k from the purchase price.
- Uuuugly kitchen. Takes you $5k to fix. Drop another $10k.
- Crap all over the yard, over grown trees and peeling paint on porch and trim. You fix for $5k. Drop another $10k.

Now you`re $20k ahead of the game and have a $160k place for $130k plus $10k in renos. I see `em all the time in Edmonton.

I Just bought a property in Calgary - 140K - 40K down rest financed from my line of credit (2.25% per month). It nets close to $700 per month (i.e. after all expenses) and all maintenance is taken care of by rental pool and condo corp. So deals can be found. This one though is a rare one.

Someone was complaining about the ethics of Ron LeGrand. But guess how I got this deal? There was a very motivated seller who sold 30K below peak market prices. It is a question of looking for good deals and that may take time and patience - but they exist.

Ron LeGrand does not wait for MLS he goes out and finds motivated sellers with his yellow letter and avoids real estate commission. Now that is really smart!

So when someone complains that those great deals don`t exist, I think to myself that he/she hasn`t truly looked around. It may take going through 100s of listings or... like some of us do, being specialized in a particular housing complex and letting people know you are willing to buy for the right price.

Above all... Take Action

P.S. Can anyone explain me how to do a `Warp-around" mortgage in Alberta?

GarthChapman

Registered
QUOTE (gwasser @ Oct 3 2009, 11:57 AM) P.S. Can anyone explain me how to do a `Warp-around" mortgage in Alberta?

Godfried, do a couple of searches for `Wrap Mortgage` or `Wrap Around` and `Agreement For Sale` and you will find much good info. Wrap is more a US term wheras AFS is what we call it in Alberta. Once search is completed ask away any specific questions as there are many ways to use this strategy, both as a buyer and as a seller.

Call me anytime if you want to review what you have in mind.

luckyluciano

Registered
Godfried, I clarified the my Ethics remarks in the other post (assuming you are talking about me). I said I may have ethics issues since I am an active RE agent. Re; your RE purchase, congratulations, but not enough info to evaluate. What`s the rent, is the rent SF? What is the maint? Taxes? Is $700/mth after debt charges? Based on 100% down?
QUOTE (gwasser @ Oct 3 2009, 02:57 PM) I Just bought a property in Calgary - 140K - 40K down rest financed from my line of credit (2.25% per month). It nets close to $700 per month (i.e. after all expenses) and all maintenance is taken care of by rental pool and condo corp. So deals can be found. This one though is a rare one. Someone was complaining about the ethics of Ron LeGrand. But guess how I got this deal? There was a very motivated seller who sold 30K below peak market prices. It is a question of looking for good deals and that may take time and patience - but they exist. Ron LeGrand does not wait for MLS he goes out and finds motivated sellers with his yellow letter and avoids real estate commission. Now that is really smart! So when someone complains that those great deals don`t exist, I think to myself that he/she hasn`t truly looked around. It may take going through 100s of listings or... like some of us do, being specialized in a particular housing complex and letting people know you are willing to buy for the right price. Above all... Take Action P.S. Can anyone explain me how to do a `Warp-around" mortgage in Alberta?

luckyluciano

Registered
Sorry Thomas but if I understood you properly, then you misunderstood me. The $40 k is not what I save, I meant it`s what the average couople retire on and I personally am do not want to live that way. I also choose not to live off only $ 80k per year off retirement. For me that is a life poorly planned. That`s just me! My parents were blue collar an have been retired for 20 years with a 6 figure income. I personally am very proud of them and I would feel like a failure if I cannot accomplish at least double that. That`s just me! I believe in thinking Big! Compared to many, my thinking is truly small. I read and invest in myself a lot. Earl Nightengale said. "Man does not have trouble achieving his goals, he has trouble setting them.", Not religeous but the Bible says "a good man provides for his children`s children!". These quotes and others motivate me. As for working, well let`s just say, idon`t want to be on my deathbed saying, "I wish I could have worked an extra day or two.". There are. Plenty of fantastic things one can do rather than being trapped in the rut of always working. I realize some have. Convinced themselves that they love their work and it may actually be true. But for me, I look around and see so much more. Golf was just a metaphore. To each his own, but if we are to think, let us think BIG!

QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Oct 3 2009, 12:57 PM) Some thoughts: save some man ... or better: save a LOT man ! Only 40K saved with multiple six figure income ? That`s a life-style choice. If you continue saving only a 100K/year for 10 years that is $1M .. @ 8% that would be 80K/year in income .. plus work part-time .. what is wrong with that scenario ? You do not need a high multiple six figure income to live well. Why would you "retire" anyway ? It gets boring after the 8th golf-course ! There are also income streams beyond real estate, or some based on real estate but not residential that may be better for income than single family homes, such as: storage facilities, industrial parks, shopping centers, office towers .. public REITs or medium levered apartment buildings. Is the goal INCOME .. or NETWORTH improvement ? Different asset classes yield different results.

andyr

Registered
QUOTE (JoefromTO @ Sep 30 2009, 08:27 AM) Or you have 10 single family properties with no debt each worth the same $150,000.00, but now they are each bringing in $1,000.00/month positive cashflow, which is $1,000.00/month x 10= $10,000.00/month or $120,000.00/year. Plus you have a net worth of $150,000.00 x 10= 1,500,000.00 real net worth.

The first thing each person has to do is figure out what wealth means to them. I don`t know what wealth means to you, but if I was making $120,000.00/year...thats not bad!

Thank you! That`s the best answer I`ve read so far. Makes sense and gives me a little more hope
I didn`t like this invest invest invest mentality. I mean who cares if I own 1000 properties if I still have to work my crappy 9-5 job. Ideally I can make enough to earn a living off of, then I can work full time as an investor working towards my million dollar dream home in White Rock BC, traveling the world, and spending more time with my family. To me that would be wealthy regardless of what my worth was on paper.

Top Bottom