MOLD on main floor walls.

DennisVarty

REIN Member
I've had two properties this winter that had mold start up the wall in the main floor bedroom.

I've never had such a problem ever in the past and wondered if anyone knows why this would happen and how to stop it from re-occurring?

3canctheayr

Registered
The rooms are probably not getting enough fresh dry airflow, or are lacking insulation, or both. There is probably condensation occuring on the walls, which will create mildew/mold over time.

Is the mold/mildew on the outer walls?

The house itself probably has too much humidity for some reason as well.

Is the house heated with electric baseboards?

DennisVarty

REIN Member
Thanks for your input.

These are exterior walls so your probably right on both issues. Insulation and air quality.

This winter has been brutal with extreme cold and then warming up etc. That might have caused the issue.

kfort

Registered
Age of house will tell you lots also. I had a home that developed some noticeable mould on baseboards after extreme cold weather, no floor joist insulation, and an insulating item (mattress) was set right against it. This is after weeks of -40* !!

invst4profit

Registered
In homes with forced air heating this can be the result of tenants placing furniture over the heating vents. Blocked vents prevent warm air from heating and circulating the air in bedrooms

Check this out during your regular inspections and advise tenants not to block heater vents and to leave the bedroom doors open during the day.