Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Marketing a house w/ small bedrooms

kfort

Registered
Hey folks, I am just wondering how you might go about marketing a single family house that has smaller than average bedrooms? Specifically the bedrooms, the house is nice enough to bring in plenty of interest. They are small enough to turn off some applicants. In retrospect, I should have placed more weight on that point. So far I point out that many houses of this age/size have much smaller living rooms, the space is used there. Any other ideas? For reference, they are painted "a Touch of Grey - CIL" and are very near white, I keep the lights in there nice and bright for showing. Thanks a ton.

Kris

FourBell

Registered
Personally, I would simply mention the number of bedrooms in the ad, and not say anything about the size of them.

Then, when you are showing the home, (always refer to it as a home, and not a house, it helps to change the persons frame of mind), focus on the spaciousness of the living room, or other rooms that are above average. Sell the fact that the space is more usable in these rooms for entertaining, family time, or whatever.

It sounds like the paint is light enough, and with the lights on, and window treatments open to let in natural light, you are showing the rooms in the best possible way.

My 2 cents.

:)

PaulPoulsen

Registered
If the living room is larger than in comparable properties, really sell that in your ad and then in person. Take great pictures of the best features of your home and make them the highlight of you advertising.

Make sure the entire house is clean and that it shows well. Don't forget to shovel the walk. Do your best to smile a lot and to be friendly. Wear one better than what you think the prospective tenant will show up wearing (ie - if you expect him in jeans and a t-shirt, go with jeans and a button-up shirt). Try to call the prospect by name a few times. If you feel you absolutely must address the size of the bedrooms, try not to actually refer to them as "small." Call them "cozy" or position them as "easy to keep clutter-free."

If you think prospects are grading your property against others, you need to introduce another variable - You. Make a great impression and instead of being the house with small bedrooms, you're the house with the awesome landlord.

kfort

Registered
Thank you very much for your replies. It's good to hear some suggestions and it's also good to see some of the things I've been doing are correct! The name thing, factoring in myself etc have helped so far I know for sure.

kfort

Registered
Success! I think I found a great tenant. Major employer (Cameco Corp) she works one week on / one week off. I figure that's ~ half the wear and tear! Employer loves her. Her past landlord did too! Thanks for the help folks :)

Top Bottom