Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Leases

MikeMcC874

Registered
I have a few soft copies of leases but none of them have all the stuff I want. Non-smoking, tenant insurance etc. And there is some extra stuff that I don`t think applied in Ontario.

How do folks usually deal with leases and additions/changes?

Take it to a lawyer and get them to add it or just add wordings yourself?

Mike

JoeRagona

Registered
QUOTE (MikeMcC874 @ Aug 5 2010, 10:16 PM) I have a few soft copies of leases but none of them have all the stuff I want. Non-smoking, tenant insurance etc. And there is some extra stuff that I don`t think applied in Ontario.

Mike
Yes, have your lawyer make the proper changes to the lease - one who understands the provincial laws.

Berubeland

Registered
I have a lease that is a standard Word document and I modify it myself depending on the property and what I want in there. I keep it really simple and read it at every lease signing in full. This is so everyone understands what they are supposed to be responsible for.

In Ontario don`t forget to give a copy of the tenant information package given by the Landlord & Tenant Board and the lease to the the tenant. Tenants do not have to pay rent if they have not received their lease within 21 days of the tenancy starting. I have heard that they are also doing the same if the landlord gave the lease but not the information package.

If you want my very simple word lease just email me and I`ll send the tenant information package too.

housingrental

Registered
For commercial go lawyer route
For residential I wouldn`t spend the money
Check your local apartment managers association where you should be able to join and purchase a suitable one for very cheap ($20, etc..)
You can add in and initial clauses or schedule A to it. The clauses being enforceable is another thing though.

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (MikeMcC874 @ Aug 5 2010, 08:16 PM) I have a few soft copies of leases but none of them have all the stuff I want. Non-smoking, tenant insurance etc. And there is some extra stuff that I don`t think applied in Ontario.

Mike

Just make the changes yourself. We make tenants initial beside several pertinent items - no smoking, pet policy, non-payment terms etc.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
Most standard leases have a "severability clause," stating that if any part of the Agreement is found to be invalid or illegal, that covenant shall be severable from the remainder of the Agreement, which remains in effect.

They also may say something to the effect that in case of any conflict between the Agreement and the RTA, then the Act applies.

If your lease has those two items, then even if you screw up your additional conditions, the lease will still be valid.

Regards,
Sherilynn

Top Bottom