Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JV partner forms in French?

LaRy

Registered
Good day,

I have some potential JV partners that live in Quebec and was wondering if any REIN members had some critical JV forms transaled in French already before I go thru the exercise?

Thank You.

LaRy

AnitaR

REIN Member
Hello,

I also have JV partners in Québec but we have been using the JV agreements in English as all our other transactions (mortgage, lawyer, etc.) are in English. What I have been doing is asking my partners to see their lawyer (or notary public) with the JV agreement to ensure that everything meets their needs.

Good luck!

Anita

roizes

Registered
Hi LaRy,

I totally agree with Anita. Make it their responsability to understand what they are looking at. If you start translating some of the forms where is it going to end? Thanks to language laws, typically people in Quebec are used to have access to everything in French by a snap of two fingers. Not the case here. Beside how can you ensure that the translated document will have the same meaning in a province with a different legal code? Do yourself a favor and make sure it is their work to understand your original documents. My two cents worth.

Cheers

DanBarton

Registered
If your JV partner insists on providing forms in french. I would suggest finding and contracting the work out to a bi lingual Virtual Assistant who can translate the terms and the agreement into french for you, this is going to be cheaper than hiring a law firm to do so. After that, ask for referrals for a bi lingual lawyer who can confirm the agreement remains the same. Calculate these costs into the JV closing costs, you shouldn`t be held solely responsible for the cost of this.

Hope it helps,
Dan

Top Bottom