Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Insurance prices

jimcurran

Registered
Just wondering if anyone can recommend an insurance company. I seem to be paying quite a bit more than others and am loooking to bring my costs down. It seems like most people I talk to seem to be paying 700ish while i'm paying more like 1500. I live in Sarnia, Ontario.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
Park Insurance, Hub International, and Sadler Insurance have excellent rental property insurance at competitive prices. In some cases you pay less money for much better insurance. However, you must be a REIN member to have access to these policies. (Well worth the price of membership, IMHO.)

Tibo

Imagine, Believe & Achieve :-)
Registered
DA Kurt has treated me very well.

invst4profit

Registered
Take your business to a Insurance Broker.

They will find you the lowest/best policy. My coverage is with Economical, I don't know the company and don't care. My coverage cost is reasonable and covers everything I need.

Getting a reference from someone else will not guarantee you will get the same service or price. Insurance companies charge based on how much they want your business. If you're being gouged, as you are, it's because they don't care if they have you as a customer and probably would be happy if you took your business elsewhere.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
[quote user=invst4profit]Getting a reference from someone else will not guarantee you will get the same service or price.

While this is true, the REIN policies through the brokers I mentioned have coverages that are not easily available through other brokers. Flood coverage, bylaw coverage, automatic 12 month vacancy coverage (for a covered peril), and tenant vandalism coverage are a few examples.

Plus, I wouldn't judge a policy based on price alone. I have heard horror stories about the insurance company that we used years ago - they were finding all sorts of excuses to not pay claims. It would be a shame to choose insurance based on the best price and then have the claim denied for a bogus reason.

invst4profit

Registered
True enough. That is the advantage of using a broker, They do the shopping for you but you are still responsible for insuring you have the proper coverage.

In my experience I have never known any insurance company that does not try to find ways to not pay full claims.

Insurance is a necessary evil in which you only find out how unscrupulous they are when you try to collect.

Fair treatment from an insurance company comes from the property owners due diligence not an expectation that any insurance company will voluntarily treat a customer fairly.

REIN should be careful recommending insurance companies as they are a business that holds no loyalty to any individual. Until you try to make a claim no individual knows how they will be treated.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
[quote user=invst4profit]REIN should be careful recommending insurance companies as they are a business that holds no loyalty to any individual. Until you try to make a claim no individual knows how they will be treated.

I agree that even after a recommendation, people should do their own diligence. However, informing people that these brokers have special policies available for REIN members isn't exactly a recommendation.

That being said, my recent claim with Aviva through Park Insurance was quick and painless. :)

Top Bottom