Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hotel Suite Ownership.

lornepa

Registered
Hi there,
This is my first post as I am a newly minted REIN member I have not yet had any contact with other members, that will change soon. FEB 6 in Edmonton.
Does anyone have working knowlege of hotel suite ownership. If so I would love to hear about it and have a chance to pick your brain.

ToddStokowski

Registered
Are you making reference to a hotel/condo operation?

If so, what are your questions?

If not, you may want to make your question a bit more specific.

Welcome aboard.

Todd

lornepa

Registered
QUOTE (ToddStokowski @ Jan 25 2008, 11:28 PM) Are you making reference to a hotel/condo operation?

If so, what are your questions?

If not, you may want to make your question a bit more specific.

Welcome aboard.

Todd
The info I have is very limited. Waiting for the listing agent to send the details. It is strictly an investment property with the Hilton Hotel using the suite and paying monthly from a rental pool. Realter says last year net revenue was $6300. MLS listing V680949 Still waiting for the financial info. I don`t yet have the info to know if the numbers work on this deal anyway, since I am not familier with this type of deal just want to learn about the stuff thats new to me.(All of it, Really!!!) Seems kind of limiting that if you own this property you can`t use it for anything else or rent it on your own if the Hotel is not getting the job done. A lot of restrictions I`m sure!!

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
RUN !!!

management fees eat up 35 to 50% of gross revenue .. then: high condo fees that you can`t control (gee, the lobby needs a new carpet), taxes, mortgages !

and in most cases the taxes are FAR FAR FAR higher than a residential property (say 2 to 4 times as high) plus it is usually harder to get a mortgage !!

DO NOT DO IT !

lornepa

Registered
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Jan 26 2008, 09:02 PM) RUN !!!

management fees eat up 35 to 50% of gross revenue .. then: high condo fees that you can`t control (gee, the lobby needs a new carpet), taxes, mortgages !

and in most cases the taxes are FAR FAR FAR higher than a residential property (say 2 to 4 times as high) plus it is usually harder to get a mortgage !!

DO NOT DO IT !
Thank You! That confirms my own feeling after speaking with the agent this evening. None of the numbers make sense, plus the fact that you have no control over the use of your own real estate.

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
Welcome aboard,

I too agree with Thomas. Not really a real estate investment because you truly have no control over the use of the property, what the rents will be, who you can sell it to etc.

Owning a clean title and having control in your own personal hands is a critical part of a true real estate investment. The less control you have the less it becomes a favorable opportunity.

CONGRATS on asking the question BEFORE taking action.

gwasser

Registered
I own a hotel unit in Canmore but although I don`t mind making money on it, it was for me a stepping stone into Canmore. First it is an investment and second it is the enjoyment of use for my family. We`re using the place on family weekends – a few times a year we`re staying the weekend for skiing and we just spend a week over there during Christmas.
The capital appreciation has been tremendous (close to 30% in a year and a half). But poor occupancy forecasts, poor marketing by the rental manager resulted in very poor cash flow - you don`t want to mortgage the place.

There is the GST issue, commercial taxes they all put a damper on things. I ended up going on both the condo board and the rental pool to help clean up things. So everything Thomas Beyer, Todd and Don warn you about is true. As usual, an investment should fit in your dreams and plans. If not, do not buy it.

For us, the experience was mixed. But it convinced us that Canmore will likely become our retirement home. The appreciation cushioned our cash flow pain and so we`re not that bad off. Yet, I can think of a lot simpler and more profitable investment alternatives. You know whatever you decide to do in life, in the end, nothing you do is for nothing even if it turns out that your move was only a hard lesson in reality!

Top Bottom