Gst on new rental properties

wtoews

Registered
Nov 12, 2008
Grande Prairie
Visit site
I have just been told that if I purchase a brand new property that I will have to pay the GST on it because it will be a rental. If I were to live in it , then it would be deferred back to the builder. Is this correct, and if so is there any way I can recover some of the GST being paid out?

MonteDobson

Registered
Oct 7, 2007
Regina, SK
QUOTE (wtoews @ Feb 10 2009, 01:13 AM) I have just been told that if I purchase a brand new property that I will have to pay the GST on it because it will be a rental. If I were to live in it , then it would be deferred back to the builder. Is this correct, and if so is there any way I can recover some of the GST being paid out?
From what I understand, the GST rebate is only available for owner occupied residences, and not in rentals unless you plan to live in a portion of the new building (ie. duplex). Some builders will promote that you can get the GST rebate for rentals by just "saying that it is owner-occupied". This is a grey area and not advisable.

More info at http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gp/rc4028/rc4028-e.html

kennicoll

REIN Member
Sep 20, 2007
leduc
QUOTE (RobWatson @ Feb 10 2009, 05:21 PM) Yes you are eligible for the GST rebate even if you are renting out the property.

You must fill out form GST 524 "GST Rental Rebate Application". Since I get confused by CRA paperwork, I had our accountant fill this out for us (thanks George!).

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/gf/gst524/

We have since received our rebate.

Hope that helps!

Steffan

hi Rob we purchased 3 new homes 2-3 years ago wolud we be able to qualify fir the gst rebate thanks

Sep 3, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario
QUOTE (kennicoll @ Feb 12 2009, 05:19 PM) hi Rob we purchased 3 new homes 2-3 years ago wolud we be able to qualify fir the gst rebate thanks

I am not sure. i would think you could still claim it if you had all your paperwork.

i would check with your accountant, or call the CRA directly.

kennicoll

REIN Member
Sep 20, 2007
leduc
QUOTE (RobWatson @ Feb 12 2009, 05:27 PM) I am not sure. i would think you could still claim it if you had all your paperwork.

i would check with your accountant, or call the CRA directly.

thanks will check thanks ken