Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Grass Cutting

Nir

REIN Member
Hi All,

A few basic questions about grass cutting:

- Is the landlord always responsible for grass cutting in a Plex (3-plex or 4-plex)?
- what approximately is the cost to cut grass and how often should it be cut?
- lastly, an example: I have a property sitting on a very long and narrow lot: there is the building then behind it an area for parking cars and FARTHER BEHIND that parking area there is a large area of grass no one is using. Am I responsible to cut grass in that area although no one is using it just becasue it is part of the lot?

THANKS.

Nicola

Registered
QUOTE (investmart @ May 26 2010, 02:24 AM) Hi All,

- Is the landlord always responsible for grass cutting in a Plex (3-plex or 4-plex)?
- lastly, an example: I have a property sitting on a very long and narrow lot: there is the building then behind it an area for parking cars and FARTHER BEHIND that parking area there is a large area of grass no one is using. Am I responsible to cut grass in that area although no one is using it just becasue it is part of the lot?

THANKS.

My impression is that the LL would be responsible, unless you included it as part of the main floor tenant`s lease.

We have a semi-detached (small front & back yard) 2-unit house in Toronto. We will be paying $100/month for bi-weekly lawn service.

Regarding the far back grass, I think you should mow it at the same time. Otherwise it will just look ugly and might encourage people just to throw garbage and stuff in the grass. I don`t know if you`re legally obliged to do it, but if the property is attractive, it might encourage the tenants to treat it nicely.

Nicola

housingrental

Registered
I`m not certain on Toronto, but would guess so, but I`m under the impression most cities (all?) have a by-law regarding grass height.
More importantly your tenant, potential renters, appraisers, and future purchasers might look differently at your property with a jungle motif.
Check my avatar picture to you - does this look like home to you? or a run down property?

NorthernAlex

Registered
QUOTE (investmart @ May 25 2010, 01:24 PM) Hi All,

THANKS.

Where is it, Neil? I just got quotes for a couple buildings here. I always go with bi-weekly and the lawn service charges approx. 25$ per cut....

VerticalProperties

Registered
So in Winnipeg you would be responsible to have the grass cut. You can however negotiate in your agreement that they would be responsible for cutting the grass.

We charge $35 per cut and trim.... usually our client go bi-weekly.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

MarkHealy

Registered
We have several plex`s and cut the grass on all
It keeps the look of the property under our control
In Calgary grass grows fast in the spring and fall
We cut as often as once a week in the fast times but on trim bi weekly
In past have worked the cutting into a lease or paid a tenant and find they often "forget" to do it
As commented on before the curb of the property is much greater
We do the same with snow to avoid fines and lawsuits

Mark

Nir

REIN Member
Thank You Everyone for clarifying this issue and for the Great advice!

Top Bottom