Getting rid of odours

dlisa

Registered
Help needed please! We have a tenant who has complained of a strong urine (human) odour in one bedroom.

Plan A: We steam cleanied with specialty products - it didn`t help. After a few days, the odour returned.

When we pulled up the carpeting today, the floor was entirely covered in `puddle` stains. We now found out that the previous owner`s wife died in the house (probably in this room) after a battle with cancer.

I`m looking for suggestions to get of this odour - permanently.

Doris

vandriani

REIN Member
What is the floor made of?
I believe you could use a odor blocking paint (usually used for fire damage) but it would probably depend on the material your floor is made of.

RedlineBrett

Registered
try renting an ozone generator.. or even buying one as they are pretty cheap (~300). They do a pretty good job, but you will need to ensure nothing that breathes air is in the property while it is running (ozone is a strong oxidant).

we have used these for smoke and pet odors in property before. I have also learned that people have used them for `well worn` hockey gear before a new season starts!

QUOTE (dlisa @ Jul 30 2008, 02:18 PM) Help needed please! We have a tenant who has complained of a strong urine (human) odour in one bedroom.

Plan A: We steam cleanied with specialty products - it didn`t help. After a few days, the odour returned.

When we pulled up the carpeting today, the floor was entirely covered in `puddle` stains. We now found out that the previous owner`s wife died in the house (probably in this room) after a battle with cancer.

I`m looking for suggestions to get of this odour - permanently.

Doris

brentdavies

Registered
2 things we have done over the years to stop odors.

Black lights are useful tools to locate urine stains, mice trails, etc.

For pet urine, cat spray etc, remove the carpet and underlay and dispose. Paint the wood underlay with an oil base paint to seal the floor, and install new carpet and underlay.

For potenial body fluids, undertakers have formelidhyde (Spelling?) which kills any body tissue. Very hard to obtain, but works very well.

Have not used ozone except in smoke damage, so cannot comment.

Good Luck

Anonymous

Registered
QUOTE (brentdavies @ Jul 30 2008, 08:20 PM) 2 things we have done over the years to stop odors.

Black lights are useful tools to locate urine stains, mice trails, etc.

For pet urine, cat spray etc, remove the carpet and underlay and dispose. Paint the wood underlay with an oil base paint to seal the floor, and install new carpet and underlay.

For potenial body fluids, undertakers have formelidhyde (Spelling?) which kills any body tissue. Very hard to obtain, but works very well

Have not used ozone except in smoke damage, so cannot comment.

Good Luck

I watched a news magazine show once where they used a black light to check for bodily fluids/bacteria in hotel rooms. After learning that they don`t wash the top cover off the beds after each guest, that`s the first thing I rip off each time I check in. Even the light switches tested positive for things one wouldn`t want to touch. Airplanes don`t replace their disposable pillows after each guest either, which is a little disconcerting (especially if someone has lice). Formaldehyde is used to preserve cadavers and other organic species in labs. The chemical has an unpleasant smell is is possibly carcinogenic. I think there are enzymes out there that would work just as well or:
http://www.epoleon.com/index.php?main_page=animalodor

Not to divert from the topic at hand but I am experiencing an odor problem of my own for the past few days. Every time I passed my kitchen I noticed this toxic smell but attributed it to the summer heat. Heat accelerates gas diffusion so I assumed it was from a bottle of metal polish I didn`t shut properly. I threw it out but the problem worsened. After getting tired of inhaling the fumes and getting mild headaches, I dug deeper and found I had paint thinner that was seeping through it`s plastic bottle and had to throw out everything the chemical seeped into. It was a mess. Even the the individually packed oatmeal in the neighbouring cabinet tasted funny. I`m using an ionizer and baking soda but the smell lingers. If anyone has an idea of what else to do, please let me know. I`m literally sick of this smell. My building does not have the best ventilation. For everyone else, you may want to chuck out old bottles of corrosive chemicals to avoid a potential hazmat situation. It eats through the plastic after a few years.

cberezowski

Registered
You can either cut out the subfloor provided it is wood and have it replaced, or seal the floor with Kilz oil-based sealer. Two coats and you are good to go. If it was my place I would replace the subfloor, cheap and easy and you know for certain it is gone.

Carla