Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

garage rental

bb2

Registered
I recently had a problem with a tenant that I rented the garage to using a separate agreement. I was having problems with him paying the rent on time and only giving partial rent. I had other issues with him also. I went through the process of eviction and ended up having to use the Residential Dispute Resolution Service (which I think is fantastic) It was a close decision (you need 3 substantiall breaches) but I ended up losing because the garage rental, which was the portion he didn`t pay, is not Residential - I would have to take that up in Provincial Court. I have been renting for quite a number of years and this came as a surprise to me - you never stop learning!

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
If you are using a warehouseman`s lease on a garage there are different remedies (that are much more enforceable that some of the RTA laws.

For instance, if you don`t pay on your `mini-storage` unit their lease states that they can just put a lock on it until you pay up or a prescribed amount of time has passed and you can then sell the goods.

The issue you came across is a good lesson for all who are renting the garage to the tenant of the property. New rule would be: If not rented to the tenant, use the warehouseman`s or garage lease. If renting to the tenant add it to the residential lease just put it as a separate line item (ie: rent for suite $1,000 + rent for garage $200 = total residential rent tenant obliged to pay = $1,200)

Thanks for the post

DeniseHamilton

Registered
Is the warehouse or garage lease on the REIN website? I did a search but came up with nothing.

Thanks for your help.

R

RussellWestcott

Howdy, it is found the REIN™ critical forms section

My REIN Space Forums > REIN™ Members Only > Member Resources > Critical Forms > Tenant & Landlording Forms

<<directory>> Click here

<<file name>> Garage and Storage Lease Template - doc (or pdf)

Cheers

Top Bottom