Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

First Purchase

clearyarchitect

Registered
Hello all,

I am in the very preliminary stages of putting together my first rental purchase, and could use a little advice on the topics of joint venture structuring, and what amount of reserves may be considered adequate. The deal will be 3 way, as capital is very low and so 3 partners are needed in order to manage a purchase. The three partners bring this to the table.

Partner 1: 10K cash, will manage property
Partner 2: 10K cash
Partner 3: 15K cash, will assume mortgage, will be occupying residence.

If it seems like we are all spread fairly thin, it is because we are! Partner 1 and 2 are still students, and Partner 3 is the only member with long term employment. All members are tired of having their cash sitting in one year cashable GIC`s and earning .05 percent per year, and so are willing to get creative at any measure to get their money moving. We will not be looking to start submitting offers until this summer, as not all cash previously mentioned will be available until then. That being said I will be working diligently in between now and then to figure out the best way to make this work for all members. Any advice I may receive here will be priceless and greatly appreciated.

Firstly I suppose our one benefit is that Partner 3 will be looking to occupy the property, and so we should be able to leverage ourselves a little further considering the more favorable financing for owner occupied CHMC insured loans. I am not clear on whether CMHC will accept our (partners 1 and 2`s) cash for the down payment (on the basis that it is for investment purposes), so this may be one of our first sticking points. I am almost positive that our property must be owner occupied in order to make this purchase work, as with the recently announced changes to mortgage lending standards will push non-owner occupied properties max LTV to 80% in the very near future (I was told this just his morning while in correspondence with a CMHC representative).

Next, there are two key issues we must address, which are how to structure the returns to each partner given their unique stake in the deal (in regards to equity, cash flow, possible negative cash flow, exit strategy, and refinancing)

Next one our agenda of concerns is working backwards to figure out which price range we should be in. Assuming that we are able to secure a 95% LTV loan (which may not necessarily be the case) we be able to look comfortably up into the $300,000 range, as with $35,000 cash on hand, this would leave us with $10,000 cash after a 5% down payment. My question is how much we should consider leaving on reserve for vacancy, damages, and unforeseen costs? We of course want to be slightly conservative but do not want to use any of our useful cash unutilized...what amount of reserves should we be considering? The answer to this question will more or less dictate our price range.

Our only other concern is whether to look into higher priced properties with more units, requiring minimum improvements, OR to look in the lower of our price range and consider using a portion of the cash for property improvements.

All that is being considered above is assuming that we are able to obtain financing (hoping a cosigner on the mortgage does not have to enter the picture), and that our down payment sources will be accept by CMHC (as while we are all looking to invest, the property will still be the principle residence of Partner 3).

Any details that I have left out and make this situation difficult to comment accurately on, please just ask and I will try to fill in the gaps. We are very eager to learn all we can, cover all the gaps,,, and make this happen! Feel free to comment on any of the above mentioned topics of concern. I will keep posting as workings of this deal progress, as slow as it may be, so that you all can see the progress.

Thanks so much!

Rickson9

Registered
What is gross rental income? With gross rental income an individual can make a fairly accurate guess if the buyer has overpaid.

Nir

REIN Member
re: reserve fund: either 3 months worth of rent or 3 months worth of mortgage payments. GL!

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (clearyarchitect @ Feb 19 2010, 12:28 PM) ...

Partner 1: 10K cash, will manage property
Partner 2: 10K cash
Partner 3: 15K cash, will assume mortgage, will be occupying residence...
How about this:

30% for each partner`s 10K
10% for the person putting the deal together (you !)
5K from 15K partner will be credited towards rent over say 10 or 20 months.

Say rent is: $1200 .. he pays only $700 in rent for 10 months. Then he is treated like a tenant for $1200/month in rent.

Are you partner 1 ? The person "managing" usually gets a management fee OR MORE EQUITY ! maybe another 10-20% .. or 10% of rent paid monthly for accounting etc. ..

Rent goes towards expenses: mortgage, utilities, ..

After sale 30% goes to each partner pus 10% for you (I assume you are one of the 3)

THE BIG ISSUE is:
a) what happens if rent is not paid i.e. partner 3 hs to be evicted but he is actually on title too !
b) what happens if damage exceeds "normal wear and tear" i.e. a big party or a trashed carpet or holes in wall
c) what happens if one wants out but not the other 2: a BUY OUT CLAUSE is needed !
d) if asset value drops below mortgage amount i.e. on sale there is money owing

Discuss these 4 possible issues with your 2 partners and decide what to do in each case.

invst4profit

Registered
JVs are a good option when cash is limited. Having three partners and one partner live in the property not a good idea. Renting to a friend, or having a friend/partner occupy, is never a good situation. If it is what you have to do to make a purchase possible then you are probably not financially stable enough to move forward yet.
I would advise finding a better temporary investment vehicle than you presently have until you are more financially stable. Have you maxed out your RRSPs or considered RE funds for investments. Do you even have a financial advisor to assist you with investments.

Nir

REIN Member
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Feb 20 2010, 10:29 AM) Having three partners and one partner live in the property not a good idea. Renting to a friend, or having a friend/partner occupy, is never a good situation.

Why? Can`t it work well with a good agreement where one partner lives in one of the units (of say a 4-plex)? I can see how it can get complicated but also don`t think it`s that complicated that it can not be well included and defined in the agreement to ensure everyone is happy long term.
Greg, I know your experience is unique, just not sure if I would generalize this way about the importance of not having a partner live in one of the units.. Would be great to hear how this arrangement works or worked for other investors.

Regards,
Neil

invst4profit

Registered
My opinion is based on variables, three partners higher possibility of life change effecting arrangement. Most will agree renting to a friend or relative is risky, why would this not extend to a partner/friend. No agreement can prevent discourse only simplifies breakup.
Plenty of success and failures out there I just feel adding a known higher risk is poor planning.
Business should always be kept strictly business, adding to the business the occupancy of the building by a partner introduces personal in a business relationship.
In making business decisions I always eliminate the personal to reduce risk and therefor in this case I must remove the partner occupancy as a risk factor.

Statistically a higher risk situation. Plus this individual is financially underfunded, in my opinion, already providing high enough risk as is. All factors combined including age and inexperience add up to a very high risk partnership.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Feb 20 2010, 09:29 AM) JVs are a good option when cash is limited. Having three partners and one partner live in the property not a good idea. Renting to a friend, or having a friend/partner occupy, is never a good situation. ..
true .. by and large ..

however a learning experience and not much risk due to low $ investment and need to rent now ..

best to partner with someone that does have what you don`t ... such as $$$$s

invst4profit

Registered
It`s a coin toss in my opinion. Pluses, as you point out Thomas, may balance out negatives based on small dollar investment. Be interesting to see if they are successful in finding something. Even more interesting to see how the relationship plays out over the term.

crystalm000

Registered
I also had a question about structuring a JV with my parents. My husband and I have just purchased our first rental property (duplex) on our own, but now won`t have a down payment to purchase properties in the nearer future. My parents on the other hand have access to a good amount of capital and could put down 20% on a few properties. They know they want to invest in real estate, however they don`t have the expertise to do so. My husband and I by no means are `experts` but in the ideal partner relationship where one partner has the $ and the other has the experts, we would be bringing our knowledge to the table. We have discussed the possibility of partnering with them as a joint venture, but I wanted some advice as to how we could structure it. They would provide the initial down payment, and we would manage the property. We have talked about having us pay them back half of the down payment over time as part of the agreement.

Any recommendations in regards to whether it makes sense that we pay them back half of the down payment; how the additional cash flow each month would be divided; what would happen when we go to sell the property in regards to how the profits are split etc.

As a side note, my Dad is a handy man and would be able to take care of most maintenance issues with the properties.

Thanks,
Crystal

Top Bottom