Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

February 2014 U.S. Economic Fundamentals

Ally

Research Assistant
Registered
News articles for February 2014.

Ally

Research Assistant
Registered
Climate change, migration, or adaptation?

`Severe drought has U.S. West fearing worst` ` front page headline, New York Times, Sunday, Feb. 1

A young couple on the Canada Line asks for directions to the airport. They are flying home to San Francisco after a week skiing in Whistler, despite the fact there was not much snow.

Read the full article here.

Ally

Research Assistant
Registered
U.S. economic tides lapping away at house deals

BOCA RATON, Fla. - The epic beach party might not be over yet, but the economic tides are starting to inch a little closer for aspiring Canadian snowbirds.

A pair of concurrent trends over the last year have chipped away at the historic buying power Canadians enjoyed in the American sunbelt since the financial crisis: a 10 per cent decline in the loonie coupled with a roughly 10 per cent rise in U.S. housing prices.

Ally

Research Assistant
Registered
The flip side of a retirement in the sun? A tax headache

If you`re dreaming this winter of retiring to your own tropical island, get ready for sun, surf, sand ` and foreign property ownership tax rules.

Buzzkill, maybe, but while you may escape the cold, you can`t escape the system.

Ally

Research Assistant
Registered
Prices are up in Florida, but it's still tops with the snowbirds

When Ron Kearn, 59, and his wife Winona, 61, purchased a Florida vacation home last July, it was the fulfillment of a dream that had been 40 years in the making.

`It was on my wish list for pretty much my entire life. But with raising a family, things took a bit longer than planned, but that`s okay,` says Mr. Kearn, a semi-retired, self-employed financial planner from Ajax, Ont. `The timing was just right. The real estate market was good. I had someone who could take care of my business while I`m not there. I had the money. All of the above.`

Ally

Research Assistant
Registered
Update on U.S. labour market

IT TOOK barely a month for the bubble of optimism that formed over the American economy at the start of the year to deflate. Job growth slowed sharply in December, and stayed weak in January, suggesting more than bad weather was to blame.

The unemployment rate, though, tells a much cheerier story: it dropped to 6.6% in January from 7% in November. Indeed, it could soon hit the Federal Reserve`s 6.5% threshold at which it may consider raising interest rates.

Ally

Research Assistant
Registered
91 million Americans aren't looking for jobs

The unemployment rate isn't always the best measure of the job market, because it only includes people who have actively searched for work within the last four weeks. Many Americans just aren't looking for jobs.

In fact, about 91 million adult Americans don't work, and aren't looking for jobs. They make up 37% of the population -- the highest level on record since 1978.

Ally

Research Assistant
Registered
Gains in farmland value stall

The five-year boom in U.S. farmland values probably will end this year amid a decline in profits and crop prices that may disrupt the rural economy.

Top Bottom