Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Feature vs. Benefit

kfort

Registered
Hello folks, just wanted to share a quick brainstorm I did recently. I've been doing my best to focus on selling benefits vs. emphasizing features of a property. Now I'll be the first to admit, I'm no expert at this(YET), and I actually find it easier to spot the difference between the two in other people's ads vs. my own. But, here is a short list I did for a property I recently rented out.I was also thinking that if others could contribute here perhaps we could compile a sort of 'go to' reference list for folks to use in their own ads. Something like:
his / hers sinks? ---- you and your spouse will love sharing time together in the mornings!

etc.

Please forgive the massive length to this... I did it in column format on Word and it was a giant pain to copy/paste

Feature

Shared Laundry

one bedroom

Large windows

Large fenced yard

New appliances

Close to school

new flooring

landlord

text-align: center;"> new light fixtures

New bathroom everything

Two bedrooms

Parking available

5 minutes from downtown

2 blocks from park with pool

Quiet street

Fenced backyard

No pets

Spacious kitchen

Large bedrooms

Quiet street

Close to school

Well kept

Backyard fenced

ext-align: center;">Close to school / downtown

Accepting applicants with references

affordable

large windows

no more noisy apartment neighbours!!

Benefit

Cheap / Pay less for utilities!!

Live in solitude while you focus on your studies!!

Lots of warm sunshine all year long!!

Lots of room to enjoy the summer months in the privacy outdoors

Hassle free appliances / no worrying about old stinky fridge / stove that sucks up your money in energy costs

Save tons of time and $$ on bus pass / parking with a 5 minute walk to school!! Sleep late and still be on time for class!!

No old musty run down carpet from 1972 full of stains and harmful bacteria.

A landlord who truly cares.

Modern feeling and appearance throughout

Warm inviting modern bathroom

mily: times new roman,serif;">Live with a friend and enjoy reduced living expenses!!

Safe, secure, available parking for your vehicle.

Walk to work or to rec facilities!!

Summertime sunbathing at the pool nearby!! Winter skating at the outdoor rink!! Bring your friends!

Enjoy relaxing evenings in a safe secure home with excellent neighbours

No nosey neighbours when you are enjoying your BBQ!!

No worrying about allergies!! Pet free!!

Book a dinner party, room to entertain!!

Room for all your furniture and still feel comfortable

No noisy neighbours to interrupt your studies.

Never have to start your car and scrape off mountains of snow/ice in the winter

Truly a home you will be proud of. You deserve this level of luxury.

Private backyard

Instant access to SIAST and downtown.

Call xxx.xxxx now to book viewings!! Won`t last!

>Affordable luxury in a proven safe and secure environment.

Bright, warm, and inviting!!

Your very own home, you will truly relax and enjoy the comforts this has to offer.

RedlineBrett

Registered
Very few tenants will bother to read your whole add and they aren't going to pay more because you have a longer add with huge positive spin. In fact such adds often leave tenants wondering 'what's the catch'.

You get viewings through excellent photos, price relative to others and having good size and location. You get signed leases by showing it right away and being clean and professional enough to give the tenant the vibe that you are a fair, responsible landlord that is getting lots of inquiries.

kfort

Registered
I wasn't suggesting longer ads, I was suggesting a database like compilation to help folks like myself who don't always find it easy or natural to write ads that sell benefits and not features.

I know having a go to thread to view examples of the benefits asscociated with the top 4 features of a property that I just purchased would be useful for myself, but perhaps I'm the only one. Being able to quickly reference a couple benefit selling comments on:

price

backyard

living rooms

etc

would possibly assist folks in writing their first time ads. I certainly find emphasis on the importance of effective ad writing on here a lot, but no one stop location for examples.

invst4profit

Registered
You may find it helpful, in getting the best respondents, if you include in small print at the end of your add that credit checks are required of all applicants.

Rickson9

Registered
I do feature/benefit for a living since I'm a salesperson.

My customers are surgeons. Many times the features are given to us from our marketing department. Sometimes they even give us a benefit. Many times they don't. The vast majority of times, I need to go out into the field and ask our surgeons how a particular feature translates to a benefit to them or their patients.

Thus I've found it useful to ask the customer (who likes a particular feature) for their perceived benefit. Over time, I keep running total of benefits for each feature. My repertoire builds until I can reference multiple surgeons and multiple benefits. It takes time. And practice.

For example, for his/her sinks, I'm a customer that likes this feature. The benefit for me isn't 'sharing time together in the morning'.

My wife and I both have a lot of crap (e.g. contact lens case, contact lens solution, hair ties, hair dryer, hair spray, hair gel, floss, toothpaste, make up remover, lipstick, etc. ad naseum). The benefit for us for his/her sinks is that it gives us a lot of room so we don't have to get in each other's face to get to our stuff. She has her space and her stuff. I have my space and my stuff. Lots of room. More efficient to get ready. But that's me.

Best regards.

kfort

Registered
It has become abundantly clear my intentions were camouflaged...

This is not my ad. This was my 15 minute rambling brainstorm trying to list some features, and their corresponding benefits. If anyone else would like to ad to the above list feel free. My actual ad looked far different save a few of the above phrases. And yes, it contains mention of credit check (as does my auto reply pre-qualifying questionnaire)

kfort

Registered
Thank you Rickson9, that is more what I was getting at!

Rickson9

Registered
My advice is not to create your own benefits unless you personally really really love that feature. Get your customers to do the work. Do they like [feature]? If so, what about it makes their life easier/better? Listen. Thank them for sharing. Remember. Good luck!

Best regards.

Top Bottom