Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

stepchuk

REIN Member
I've recently had some issues with an unauthorized basement suite in Edmonton. Long story short, we had a bad apple tenant, she filed a complaint with the City, and we are now faced with the decision to either decomission the suite, or to obtain the proper permits and legalize it.

Can anyone recommend a good basement suite contractor? I need someone who is familiar with the code requirements, particularly concerning basement egress windows as we are likely going to need to cut concrete, install a window well, etc. I also need someone to draw up plans, and is familiar with the permitting process.

Also, does anyone know if the furnace room requires a drywalled ceiling as well to meet code?

Thanks!

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
For Edmonton:
Call Jeff at SuiteBuilder 780-691-8368 (http://suitebuilder.com/). I've used Jeff in past, good customer service and takes care of all issues.

Get quotes from other contractors (I have never hired them, but provided good detailed quotes)
Mario Laflemme 780-235-4666
Bros Building Services 780-717-9900
* stay away from stage-presence contractors...very poor service

My suggestion is to write up a complete spec list and have the contractors bid to that spec list. So, break it down by the exact materials you want and then get them to bid on unit rates for each item. (Make the items broad like egress window, installation of 800 SF of LVT, installation of kitchen cabinets per design, backsplash installation, electrical rewiring per drawing)

If you need a second furnace, drywalled ceilings, and 2 egress windows expect $50,000 hit. Unless you are using Cornerstore grant, probably not worth the cash investment right now but run the numbers.

Also, does anyone know if the furnace room requires a drywalled ceiling as well to meet code?

Yes. Exception made only for unreachable areas.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
To add to that last bit: if any area cannot be completely drywalled, sprinklers must be installed.

stepchuk

REIN Member
That's great, thanks for much for the information, guys! Will start with some quotes and go from there. Fortunately the suite is already 90% ccompliant with code (2 furnaces, drywall in all areas other than the furnace room ceiling, etc.) so it shouldn't be too bad, with the exception of the bedroom window...

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
Oh bedroom window relatively minor. $1,000 each for cut + interior finishing. Very minor. Make sure the contractor has a drainage plan for the window well.

kfort

Registered
Curious what makes folks go to two furnaces as opposed to 1 & baseboard heaters for the suite? Are you planning on paying the power bill?

BREAKRZ

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
That's great, thanks for much for the information, guys! Will start with some quotes and go from there. Fortunately the suite is already 90% ccompliant with code (2 furnaces, drywall in all areas other than the furnace room ceiling, etc.) so it shouldn't be too bad, with the exception of the bedroom window...

I'm in the process myself. make sure you have the proper ceiling height, window glazing and fire separation. 2 sheets of drywall on the ceiling may be required, at least in Barrie that is.

Marty Gordon

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Hi there stepchuk! I do basement apartments for myself almost exclusively! I live in ontario so i cant directly help you, but my youtube channel has several projects that show you the process. The main things you will have to be aware of are:
1. Ceiling height. (Usually 6'5" minimum)
2. Egress window (fire exit)
3. Fire separation
4. Hardwired & interconnected smoke alarms with strobe light.
5. Parking. -this is different everywhere, but in guelph ontario, 3 off-street spaces are required.
6. Soundproofing (roxul) insulation in basement ceiling. Not required by code in most cases but its also fireproof and certain municipalities might require added fire-proofing.
These are the main things to look in to although make sure you ask the building department for any special conditions for your city.
ALSO... WATCH :

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using myREINspace mobile app

5har0n

Frequent Forum Member
Registered
You will need to drywall under the common stairs. In my Edmonton basement, the old laundry room sink cabinet had to be removed to drywall a small area behind it. In the utility room my renovator made a drop ceiling and put hatches in it to provide future access to plumbing, etc.

Caleb West

Multi Family Commercial|Collaborative Office|
Registered
A lot of the codes with mech rooms can be solved with roxul insulation and fire caulking. Inspections are pretty good in understanding most can't be fully Drywalled

Plans are generally $1/sq ft

Egress windows will need to cut to size , usually $600/700
Window would be $250 or so
Permits may vary on things

If you need a hand with some insight and advice we're a general contracting firm with around 40 suites renos in the last 5 years

Top Bottom