Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Credit Checks in Alberta

marissa

Registered
Hi there,

I am in need of a credit check!! While I have always used Credit Info Canada in the past, when I contacted them to run a potential tenant they informed me they had given that portion of their business over to rent check. I contacted Rent Check and after what seemed like a lengthy list of things I had to do to be able to use their services (especially as Chris from CIC told me to make sure they new I was coming over from him and he was personally forwarding the application over to them) their website is down with no sign of when it will be back up and running!

Help! I am 99% confident in this tenant but I really feel better having a check done on them especially since her current landlord is her brother and current employer is her boyfriend!

Thanks in advance!

Marissa

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
Hi Marissa,

Sorry about your bad luck!

In a pinch, www.TenantVerification.com works well. Its $15 for a simple credit score or $25 for the report.

You will also have to set up an account with them (they call it a "membership", but it is free). We got verified about two years ago and it took about a day before they okayed all our documents

Documents required for verification:

Landlord

ph_membership_landlord.jpg
1. Current telephone or cellular bill. MUST be current and list your name, current residence, and the phone number listed on your application (check our FAQs for exceptions).

2. Proof of identification (valid driver's license or Passport)

3. Proof of ownership for the rental property. This can be EITHER the current property tax record or the current insurance policy for the rental property.

IMPORTANT: If your residence and rental property address are the same, you must send in a document that shows proof that it is a multi-unit dwelling or you must send a document showing that you will be moving to a new residence.

Hope that helps!

brightdreams

Registered
As previous person said TVS works best for me in Alberta. I do get similar situation where you have relatives as landlords or employer. Its all good so far as they are upfront and honest with you. Dig little bit deeper I would say. Phone employer and previous employer and ask them some friendly questions such as would you rent to them if you had a place for rent? Get the feeling about their work habits and behavior.

I normally get instant feeling from the tones of employers and landlord.

Hope this helps.

MonicaPaslawski

REIN Member
Hi Marissa,

I use Rent Check since Credit Info Canada quit doing it. I have found it to be fine - just checked and their website seems to be functioning again. Good luck!

Monica

Top Bottom