Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Creative Demolition

Ken15

Registered
What is the easiest way to demolish a house? Burn it down!

We donated a house slated for demolition to the local Fire Department. Turned out to be a "win win" situation for everyone:

-Fantastic real life training for the Firemen
-University of Waterloo and the Ministry of Environment collected much needed data
-Reduced demolition costs for us (saved us a fortune in landfill costs)
-Free advertising for our development company
-Fun for all the kids watching... including mine!

http://news.therecord.com/article/749000

koop

Registered
Fun stuff!

There WAS an old barn on my yard when I bought my place, we called our councelor and the fire chief and got it all cleared then one nice March afternoon before the snow melted we lit it up. It was very interesting how it burnt, we started it at one end and it burnt that end down then it skipped the middle and burnt the other end down (the middle was collapsed), then burnt the middle.

Its a boys dream to build a fire that big.

REINteam

Registered
What a great way to help train those who might end up saving the day.

I had never thought of something like this as a means of demolishing a house, but it definitely looks like a sound idea. Thanks for that little story Ken!

housedoc

Registered
You can also dispose of old paints and solvents down the municipal drain to save too.

Do you consider the toxins released during incineration?
What is the cost of that?

How about salvaging all usable materials?
Oh right. Labour costs money.

bizaro86

Registered
QUOTE (housedoc @ Jul 27 2010, 06:43 AM) You can also dispose of old paints and solvents down the municipal drain to save too.

Do you consider the toxins released during incineration?
What is the cost of that?

How about salvaging all usable materials?
Oh right. Labour costs money.

The fire department burns down buildings for training. They could construct a new building and burn it down, but that a waste of tax-dollars, and causes just as much damage to the environment.

The article in the link did mention that known toxins were removed before burning (ie carpet, furniture, etc)

Michael

Top Bottom