Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Condo Smoking Ban, Possible?

kfort

Registered
Does anyone know of a condo corp that has successfully implimented a smoking ban within individual units? I'm on the board at a condo I hold as a rental, and obviously I do not allow tenants to smoke, and the building common areas are smoke free as well, but individuals can still smoke inside their units if they choose. We'd like to stop this.

Honestly, I would even be open to the idea of implimenting a bylaw that was totally unenforceable so at least whatever percentage of the population that is "rule following" and oblivious would stop smelling up the building. But having a concrete example to draw from would be beneficial. Any leads?

thanks,

bizaro86

Registered
I recently was on the board of a building changing its bylaws, and our lawyer advised us that we couldn't make individual units non-smoking retroactively. We did end up putting something in about smells escaping to other units, which might be the way you want to go.

Regards,

Michael

Top Bottom