compensation to tenant

landlord1

REIN Member
Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
we`ve sold a property in vancouver, we have a month to month tenant, we give them 2 months notice , i month free rent. they move out less than 2 months as they are able to find another rental . when they hand us the key yesterday, they say that if the new owner tear down the house with in 6 months from today they are entitle for compensation equivalent to 2 months rent.
does any one know what i should do..when someone is selling a property you don`t ask the buyer why they are buying the property for.
would appreciate any advice

thanks

MikeDix

Registered
Dec 30, 2009
QUOTE (landlord1 @ Jan 6 2010, 06:02 PM) Hi,
we`ve sold a property in vancouver, we have a month to month tenant, we give them 2 months notice , i month free rent. they move out less than 2 months as they are able to find another rental . when they hand us the key yesterday, they say that if the new owner tear down the house with in 6 months from today they are entitle for compensation equivalent to 2 months rent.
does any one know what i should do..when someone is selling a property you don`t ask the buyer why they are buying the property for.
would appreciate any advice

thanks

You appear to have done everything right according to the BC Residential Tenancy Act, so long as you gave them 2 months notice and you ticked the reason box `to sell the property`.

vandriani

REIN Member
Oct 4, 2007
Vancouver
"12.8 Two-Month Notice

The landlord must serve the tenant with two month’s notice where the landlord plans to use the property, do major construction or when the
tenant no longer qualifies for subsidized housing.

12.9 Landlord’s Use of Property

This applies when the landlord
» Moves in or has a close familymember live in the rental unit
» Sells the property and the new owner, or a close family member of the new owner, intends to live in the rental unit

Close family member means the owner’s or spouse’s father, mother or child
When a landlord ends a tenancy for landlord’s use of property, the landlord must give the tenant the equivalent of one month’s rent."

I believe you have followed the correct steps. I would contact the tenancy board for clarifiaction.

Here is the website for reference:

http://www.rto.gov.bc.ca/

vandriani

REIN Member
Oct 4, 2007
Vancouver
HOLD ON!!!!...I read a bit further on this and this was stated
"12.9 Landlord’s Use of Property.....

.....The existing landlord must receive a request in writing from the new owner before the notice can be served. The notice must indicate that the
purchaser requires vacant possession in order for the purchaser, or close family member, to move in. When a new owner wants to use the property
for any other purpose, the existing landlord cannot serve the Two-Month Notice to End Tenancy."

You may want to contact the buyer