Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Comments by Greg Christenson

samcansam

Registered
"Investors who bought spec homes "are going to get their clocks cleaned. Greg Christenson, president of Christenson Developments."

This comment was made yesterday by Greg Christenson of Christenson Developments and was highlighted by the media as negative. I do not know Greg, and was wondering if someone can shed some lights as it can scare some buyers.

Thanks,
Mike

ChrisDavies

Registered
I`m going to take a shot in the dark, but he`s pointing out that we`re not likely to see another 40-50% year in Edmonton. Great growth, yes, but not Jalapeño hot. There are speculative investors out there who were hoping for the quick jump, then take their money and run. These investors typically don`t care about cashflow. Now they`re not seeing the giant gains they had dreamed up and have to hold on a little longer....leaving them in a negative cash flow position.

They were stupid, and some of them should get their clocks cleaned. It should scare some stupid buyers, but the fundamentals are still in place for steady growth.

UTCVenturesLtd

Registered
QUOTE (ChrisDavies @ Apr 16 2008, 06:55 PM) I`m going to take a shot in the dark, but he`s pointing out that we`re not likely to see another 40-50% year in Edmonton. Great growth, yes, but not Jalapeño hot. There are speculative investors out there who were hoping for the quick jump, then take their money and run. These investors typically don`t care about cashflow. Now they`re not seeing the giant gains they had dreamed up and have to hold on a little longer....leaving them in a negative cash flow position.

They were stupid, and some of them should get their clocks cleaned. It should scare some stupid buyers, but the fundamentals are still in place for steady growth.

What the smart flippers did while the market was really hot, was to purchase LOTS of new homes from the builders creating even more of shortage problem for the home buyers to find something with the long waits. (Down payments were cheaper then.) By the time the homes were completed, they were instantly sold in the price jumps for tremendous profits and those smart flippers now drive Hummers and are not touching real estate in the flat market. The johnny-come-lately flippers thinking they can do the same thing are too late! They missed the opportunity and the big jump and may have even purchased a home from the "smart" flipper! They are the ones who are keeping our markets flat putting them up for sale in great numbers. The in migration has slowed down a lot as well compounding the problem along with the high prices keeping buyers out of the single home market and even the condo market. I have a daughter and her other half with that problem, they can afford the condo, but when you add the condo fees, they are hooped!

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
Greg is a tremendous advocate for the real estate industry.

His comments are true, if you were/are a speculator buying only on the hope that the property values will sky rocket (i.e they don`t have a hope in cash flowing - just potential for capital growth) YES they will get their clocks cleaned.

That is why we are, every single month, telling our Members that Investing is so different than speculating. Investors are buying right now... quite often from speculators. We`re buying based on the cash flow that the property can create for us, and as the prices go up and down, we don`t really get too excited either way because the properties are taking care of themselves.

Last year we predicted that this over-build situation would occur and that there would be a strong increase in listings... yet still people went out and bought properties on spec.

Well, the investors in the crowd are smiling right now and the speculators are all thinking that the world is ending. I kinda like being in the investors crowd.

Reduce your risk, buy based on cash-flow and long term economic fundamentals and you will always win. It won`t be as exciting, but who wants their investments to be exciting?!?

Top Bottom