Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Coalition summary

AlanHunt

Registered
I have been reading and listening to talk radio for 3 days now and this is what I have been able to discern as the major points to the “Coalition agreement”

1) Quebec gets an additional Billion dollars in transfer payments (they already get 8 Billion annually)

2) The Bloc gets 6 senate seats (remember their purpose in life is to break up Canada)

3) The Bloc gets veto power for the next 2.5 years

4) Stephan Dion becomes Prime Minister (remember his claim to fame is the lowest vote in Liberal party history)

5) Elizabeth May (Leader of the Green Party – not elected) gets a senate seat and a cabinet post.

6) Jack Layton’s goal is to “shut down” new oil sands projects

7) Jack Layton to become Deputy Prime Minister

8) NDP party to have 25% of the seats in cabinet

9) Dion’s goal is to impose a large carbon tax (wealth transfer)

New Roman">10) Gilles Duceppe gets to call the shots for Canada for the next 2.5 years

11) This coup has been in planning for several weeks – well before the budget update was released

12) A group of people who do not care about democracy and, who are willing to do what ever they have to, to gain power.

Let the Governor General know what you think [email protected]

Dan_Eisenhauer

Registered
Alan, you and I have been listening to the same news programs. Here is what I heard:

1) No mention of additional transfer payments to Quebec

2) A denial by both Dion and Duceppe that Senate seats have been dedicated to the Bloque

3) The Bloque has agreed to support the coalition for 18 months. That is not veto power. And do not lose sight of the fact that the Bloque has supported the Conservatives on numerous Non-Confidence votes over the last couple of years. No one is accusing the Conservatives of jumping into bed with the devil.

5) That is news to me. AND even if true, all Senators are non-elected. So what?

9) The Carbon Tax was an election platform that was resoundly defeated. It will not come back in this session, IMHO.

10) Read #3

11) What proof is there that this "coup" has been in the making for several weeks? Where is that evidence? I have found numerous out right lies and misinformation coming from the conservatives over the last few days. I suspect this is another of those statements.

12) This process is completely democratic. Our parliamentary system depends on the Loyal Opposition`s support of the Government. This is especially true in a minority government. In his heady arrogance, Harper lost sight of that necessity, and lost the support of the Opposition. The GG not only has the right to, but has an obligation to see if a viable alternative to the sitting government.

Oh, and for the record, again, I have been a long time Conservative supporter. However, I am very much against Harper, and hope his days are numbered. He has alienated too many Canadians, and he is unlikely to ever be trusted by the Opposition, or even many within his own party. I understand that there is talk within the party that his time to go has come.

TerryF

Registered
The deal does include an extra 1 billion to Quebec. (Google it and you will get the news stories on it.)

QUOTE (AlanHunt @ Dec 3 2008, 03:34 PM) I have been reading and listening to talk radio for 3 days now and this is what I have been able to discern as the major points to the "Coalition agreement"

1) Quebec gets an additional Billion dollars in transfer payments (they already get 8 Billion annually)

2) The Bloc gets 6 senate seats (remember their purpose in life is to break up Canada)

3) The Bloc gets veto power for the next 2.5 years

4) Stephan Dion becomes Prime Minister (remember his claim to fame is the lowest vote in Liberal party history)

5) Elizabeth May (Leader of the Green Party – not elected) gets a senate seat and a cabinet post.

6) Jack Layton`s goal is to "shut down" new oil sands projects

7) Jack Layton to become Deputy Prime Minister

8) NDP party to have 25% of the seats in cabinet

9)!--sizec--> Dion`s goal is to impose a large carbon tax (wealth transfer)

10) Gilles Duceppe gets to call the shots for Canada for the next 2.5 years

11) This coup has been in planning for several weeks – well before the budget update was released

12) A group of people who do not care about democracy and, who are willing to do what ever they have to, to gain power.

Let the Governor General know what you think [email protected]

mcgregok

Registered
QUOTE (Dan_Eisenhauer @ Dec 3 2008, 07:06 PM) Alan, you and I have been listening to the same news programs. Here is what I heard:

2) A denial by both Dion and Duceppe that Senate seats have been dedicated to the Bloque

3) The Bloque has agreed to support the coalition for 18 months. That is not veto power. And do not lose sight of the fact that the Bloque has supported the Conservatives on numerous Non-Confidence votes over the last couple of years. No one is accusing the Conservatives of jumping into bed with the devil.

9) The Carbon Tax was an election platform that was resoundly defeated. It will not come back in this session, IMHO.

10) Read #3

11) What proof is there that this "coup" has been in the making for several weeks? Where is that evidence? I have found numerous out right lies and misinformation coming from the conservatives over the last few days. I suspect this is another of those statements.

12) This process is completely democratic. Our parliamentary system depends on the Loyal Opposition`s support of the Government. This is especially true in a minority government. In his heady arrogance, Harper lost sight of that necessity, and lost the support of the Opposition. The GG not only has the right to, but has an obligation to see if a viable alternative to the sitting government.

Oh, and for the record, again, I have been a long time Conservative supporter. However, I am very much against Harper, and hope his days are numbered. He has alienated too many Canadians, and he is unlikely to ever be trusted by the Opposition, or even many within his own party. I understand that there is talk within the party that his time to go has come.

We`re getting the government (mess) we deserve since hardly anybody voted . Just have to have a good plan for your investments. Governments come and go but you still have to eat. Canada has run out of leaders.

JohnS

Registered
QUOTE (Dan_Eisenhauer @ Dec 3 2008, 09:06 PM) 3) The Bloque has agreed to support the coalition for 18 months. That is not veto power. And do not lose sight of the fact that the Bloque has supported the Conservatives on numerous Non-Confidence votes over the last couple of years. No one is accusing the Conservatives of jumping into bed with the devil.

An acquaintance of mine is a blogger for the Globe, and he pointed out something that everybody seems to have missed. When the Bloc promised to support the Coalition (note: they`re NOT in the coalition, but have only agreed to support it for 18 months), they agreed to pass at least 2 budgets, and all confidence votes based around them, no matter what the votes are on. When has the Conservative party ever got the Bloc to promise to unconditionally support federalist parties before, for a year and a half? That`s not weakening Canadian unity, but rather strengthening it. Getting them to agree to pass the budgets and all confidence votes? In many, many ways, that puts the Bloc the weakest they`ve ever been!

(For his ideas, check out http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/SilverPowers under "Where I Came From...")

And I totally agree on the Governor-General`s responsibilities. In my mind, for better or for worse, the Coalition government legally has to go through.

As an aside, I`m surprised there`s been no comments about Harper`s absolutely idiotic lies about the flag. I mean, what was he thinking!

Have a good one, all!

JohnS

mcgregok

Registered
QUOTE (JohnS @ Dec 3 2008, 07:56 PM) An acquaintance of mine is a blogger for the Globe, and he pointed out something that everybody seems to have missed. When the Bloc promised to support the Coalition (note: they`re NOT in the coalition, but have only agreed to support it for 18 months), they agreed to pass at least 2 budgets, and all confidence votes based around them, no matter what the votes are on. When has the Conservative party ever got the Bloc to promise to unconditionally support federalist parties before, for a year and a half? That`s not weakening Canadian unity, but rather strengthening it. Getting them to agree to pass the budgets and all confidence votes? In many, many ways, that puts the Bloc the weakest they`ve ever been!

(For his ideas, check out http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/SilverPowers under "Where I Came From...")

And I totally agree on the Governor-General`s responsibilities. In my mind, for better or for worse, the Coalition government legally has to go through.

As an aside, I`m surprised there`s been no comments about Harper`s absolutely idiotic lies about the flag. I mean, what was he thinking!

Have a good one, all!

JohnS

I think the whole point is there is going to be a lot of hard feelings all around. Who cares about the whats legal or about the politicians . It would have been better if Alberta did not vote and the liberals got the minority. Our vote dos`nt count anyhow. Lots of hard feeling all around.

chargerharry

Registered
Holy Smoke!!! Do you guys actually believe that the bloc will support anything for 18 seconds, let alone 18 months, that doesn`t include a big, fat cheque for Quebec?
Harry

ssteckler

REIN Member
QUOTE (chargerharry @ Dec 3 2008, 07:32 PM) Holy Smoke!!! Do you guys actually believe that the bloc will support anything for 18 seconds, let alone 18 months, that doesn`t include a big, fat cheque for Quebec?
Harry
That fat cheque is pretty fat. As reported in this morning`s Edmonton Journal, "the current PQ leader Pauline Marois who is using the crisis to advance her own cause in the provincial election campaign...says the agreement allows Quebec to get $1 billion in equalization payments it would not have otherwise had." That`s $1 Billion of yours and my tax dollars at work.

Now what do you think of that - Dion and Layton using our tax dollars to get the BQ on side to help topple government!

Jack

Registered
QUOTE That fat cheque is pretty fat. As reported in this morning`s Edmonton Journal, "the current PQ leader Pauline Marois who is using the crisis to advance her own cause in the provincial election campaign...says the agreement allows Quebec to get $1 billion in equalization payments it would not have otherwise had." That`s $1 Billion of yours and my tax dollars at work.

Better solution: grant them their wish, give them their sovereignty. Cut off the transfer payments. Watch them suffer. Once the suffering becomes too boring, call up our friends in the U.S. and have them carpet-bomb the new country.

Memo to Quebec - GO AWAY!

We don`t want you, either!

JohnS

Registered
QUOTE (ssteckler @ Dec 3 2008, 11:09 PM) That fat cheque is pretty fat. As reported in this morning`s Edmonton Journal, "the current PQ leader Pauline Marois who is using the crisis to advance her own cause in the provincial election campaign...says the agreement allows Quebec to get $1 billion in equalization payments it would not have otherwise had." That`s $1 Billion of yours and my tax dollars at work.

Now what do you think of that - Dion and Layton using our tax dollars to get the BQ on side to help topple government!

I don`t know about the $1B. I do know, though, that I wouldn`t necessarily trust Marois, 5 days before the Quebec election, to tell the truth. Probably something behind that curtain, too, just like the others.

Is it not possible, though, that this $1B, assuming it`s true, could just be included in the spending initiatives they`re talking about for all of Canada, and that`s just Quebec`s share?

Have a good one, all!

JohnS

ZanderRobertson

Registered
Don`t hold any punches,,, tell us what you really think.
QUOTE (Jack @ Dec 3 2008, 09:17 PM) Better solution: grant them their wish, give them their sovereignty. Cut off the transfer payments. Watch them suffer. Once the suffering becomes too boring, call up our friends in the U.S. and have them carpet-bomb the new country.

We don`t want you
, either!

RogerPanchuk

Registered
QUOTE (Jack @ Dec 3 2008, 09:17 PM) Better solution: grant them their wish, give them their sovereignty. Cut off the transfer payments. Watch them suffer. Once the suffering becomes too boring, call up our friends in the U.S. and have them carpet-bomb the new country.

We don`t want you, either!

My sentaments exactly, well said.

AlanHunt

Registered
QUOTE (Dan_Eisenhauer @ Dec 3 2008, 07:06 PM) Alan, you and I have been listening to the same news programs. Here is what I heard:

10) Read #3

1) http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/262957

"Last night, Marois and her PQ Party said they are in favour of the coalition if it means an extra $1 billion in equalization payments would be sent to Quebec. As the National Post reports, a coalition government would mean the Conservative formula for equalization payments would be killed. "Instead of a $75-million increase in transfer payments, which Marois had denounced as too little to help the province through the economic crisis, Quebec now stands to bag $1 billion in 2009-2010 because the old formula will apply," the National Post reports."
2) (senate seats) I hear this on more than one ocasion on QR77 - as far as promises, Dion said he would never ally with the NDP as their politics were bad for the economy

3) Two budgets means 2 years, but, other than commentary, I have not found the 2.5 yr anywhere else

5) This bothers me because they are using the senate to trade for support - what qualifies Elizabeth May for a senate position? Nothing. other than the presumed support of the green party supporters

9) Stephane Dion was soundly defeated, and his own party has deemed him unfit to even to lead the party, yet he is now to become Prime Minsiter

10) the coalition will only survive with the Bloque support. The Bloque has veto power. Therefore Dion must do what Duceppe wants or it is over.

11) Do you seriously believe that 4 political parties came together (I include the Greens) and drafted the coalition agreement in under 4 days (presentation of the budget update to the signing ceremony). I have also heard this on the radio.

12) Democracy spoke Canada said - Liberal party we want much less of your influence in Parliament, you get the lowest support in Canadian history. - NDP, we know Jack can say anything he wants because there is no way you will ever win an election. - Bloque, you only care about what is best for Quebec, regardless of the impact on Canada so, over 90% of Canadians do not support you.

Dion, Layton and Duceppe have no business experience yet they have determined that Canada needs $30B (that`s the magic number, where it came from nobody know) right now. That some how $30B will turn around the global economic crisis when in the U.S. a trillion has done nothing. What will $30B accomplish vs a national budget of $1.3Trillion?

Governments can`t fix economies they can only set the stage for the market to correct itself.

Top Bottom