Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

CMHC Rules on Rentals Explained

Conrad5

Inspired Forum Member
REIN Member
CHMC Rules explained
April 14, 2010

To: Mortgage Brokers

Re: Clarification of CMHC’s Total Debt Service (TDS) Ratio Formula

On February 16, 2010, CMHC announced changes to the treatment of rental income when calculating a borrower’s total debt service ratio (TDS) for mortgage loan insurance applications. The purpose of this note is to provide additional detail with respect to this calculation and the documentation that can be used to support rental income.

Clarification of the Treatment of Rental Income from Residential Properties

Effective April 19, 2010 CMHC’s TDS formula will change as follows:

PITH1 + Other Debt
Borrower’s Gross Annual Income

1 PITH means principal, interest, property taxes and heat

If the subject property generates rental income, then:
· 50% of gross rents can be included in the borrower’s income; and
· T + H for the property generating rental income can be excluded.

If rental income from another property where the borrower resides is being used to support the application, then:
· 50% of gross rents can be included in the borrower’s income; and
· T + H for the property generating rental income can be excluded.

If the borrower has other non-owner occupied, rental income generating residential properties, then:
· net rental income can be included in the borrower’s income; and
· PITH for these properties can be excluded from the debt service costs.

50% of condominium fees must be included, when applicable. For chattel or leasehold loans, 100% of site or ground rents must be included.

Clarification of Net Rental Income
Net rental income may be determined by using the borrower’s Canada Revenue Agency T776 Statement of Real Estate Rentals form as a guide for expenses.

If the lender is using the net rental income from the borrower’s income tax return, the figure can be grossed up by 15% only if deductions have been taken to depreciate or amortize capital assets. The 15% gross up can also be applied to rental income if the borrower has taken self-employed deductions associated with the rental income that were not included in the Statement of Real Estate Rentals form such as business use of home or motor vehicle expenses, only if the income has not already been grossed up by 15% to offset the depreciation or amortization of capital assets.

Alternatively, the lender can use their own internal guidelines for determining the net rental income. Net rental income is to include gross rents less operating expenses and at least the interest portion of any loan payment that is secured by a mortgage on the property. Operating expenses should include factors for management expenses where applicable as well as vacancy and maintenance.

Similar to CMHC’s guideline for self-employed income, Lender’s are required to use the average of the most recent 2 years net rental income to ensure the income level is stable. If the lender is confident that rental income is stable, the current net rental income can be used.

Implementation
The TDS formula detailed in this note will apply to transactional and Portfolio applications for mortgage loan insurance at all loan to values, submitted to CMHC on or after April 19, 2010 for loans that will be funded on or after April 19, 2010.

CMHC will consider exceptions to the requirements described in this note where the Approved Lender has documentation that the borrower has a legally binding purchase and sale, financing or refinancing agreement dated before April 19, 2010 and the closing date occurs on or after the effective date.

Inquiries on specific applications should be directed to CMHC’s 1-888-GO-emili
(I 888 463 6454).

Judy Walsh
Regional Manager, Business Development
Prairie and Territories Region
Office: 1-403-515-2981
cell: 1-403-585-9309
[email protected]

fumbrunner

Registered
So if I read this correctly, existing properties PITH are not used for TDSR calculations for new purchases.  Is that correct?  if that is the case, the changes should have little or no impact on investors.  Or am I reading it wrong?

Conrad5

Inspired Forum Member
REIN Member
You are perfectly right. Once your portofolio is cash flowing very well you should be fine.

QUOTE (fumbrunner @ Apr 17 2010, 12:29 AM)  So if I read this correctly, existing properties PITH are not used for TDSR calculations for new purchases.  Is that correct?  if that is the case, the changes should have little or no impact on investors.  Or am I reading it wrong?

fumbrunner

Registered
QUOTE (caglah @ Apr 17 2010, 11:09 AM) You are perfectly right. Once your portofolio is cash flowing very well you should be fine.

That is great news and should lessen the gloom and doom behind the original announcement

llee

Registered
A question about the impact of cashflow.

TDS = (PITH + Other Debt)/Borrower’s Gross Annual Income

If one is considering buying a RTO investment property:

- Rent $1050
- P+I $615
- Tax $175

And assuming one makes 50K annually as full-time job, assuming no debt elsewhere. Is the following calculation correct?

TDS = 615*12 / (50000 + 1050/2 * 12) = 7380/56300 = 13.1%

And if one gets 3 of those properties, his TDS is already 32.1%. Is that why the mortgage broker said it`s impossible to fund the 4th property?

TDS = 615*12*3 / (50000 + 1050/2 *12*3) = 22140/68900 = 32.1%

dwoychuk

Registered
QUOTE (llee @ Apr 20 2010, 11:16 AM) A question about the impact of cash flow.

TDS = (PITH + Other Debt)/Borrower`s Gross Annual Income

If one is considering buying a RTO investment property:

- Rent $1050
- P+I $615
- Tax $175

And assuming one makes 50K annually as full-time job, assuming no debt elsewhere. Is the following calculation correct?

TDS = 615*12 / (50000 + 1050/2 * 12) = 7380/56300 = 13.1%

And if one gets 3 of those properties, his TDS is already 32.1%. Is that why the mortgage broker said it`s impossible to fund the 4th property?

TDS = 615*12*3 / (50000 + 1050/2 *12*3) = 22140/68900 = 32.1%

Now I am not 100% clear on this so I would appreciate if someone would confirm this for Lucas and myself, but this is what I am understanding it to be.

Based on your example:

- Rent $1050
- P+I $615
- Tax $175
Add - Heat $100

So you would have a net rental income of $160 (Rent - PITH = Net) which would be added to your Gross income. Because the PITH can be excluded from your debt service you have effectively just increased your annual income without negatively impacting your TDS. So in theory, you could add on as many properties as you want as long as they have positive cash flow.

Like I said, I am not 100% clear on this so please take this response with a grain of salt.

Cheers,

RobMacdonald

Registered
Hi Dan,

In theory, you are correct. As long as each property has a positive cash flow you should just be able to keep adding properties. But every bank has different qualifying criteria and different aggregate limits when you`re dealing with conventional mortgages.

RobMacdonald

Registered
QUOTE (llee @ Apr 20 2010, 10:16 AM) And if one gets 3 of those properties, his TDS is already 32.1%. Is that why the mortgage broker said it`s impossible to fund the 4th property?

Hi Lucas,

Your answer depends on what lender the broker was trying to qualify you at. If it was First National, correct, it wouldn`t be possible. If it was Scotiabank, 4th could be possible. Each lender has a different formula, and unless the lender must abide by CHMC`s guidelines then the above formula won`t apply.

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
Here are some more discussions on this topic that may assist:

Mortgage Rule Changes

Now it is more imporant than ever to choose which bank-financing institution you use and in what order! No longer is it about just going for the best `deal` investors need to be strategic!

smmcguire

Registered
QUOTE (DonCampbell @ Apr 22 2010, 02:42 PM) Here are some more discussions on this topic that may assist:

Mortgage Rule Changes

Now it is more imporant than ever to choose which bank-financing institution you use and in what order! No longer is it about just going for the best `deal` investors need to be strategic!

Who`s this D.Campbell guy?

Top Bottom