Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Canadian Real Estate: A Dismal Outlook

Jack

Registered
-House prices across Canada have dropped 11 per cent since hitting a peak of $316,896 in May 2008, down to $280,880 in November, according to latest figures from the Canadian Real Estate Association. The drop is weighed heavily by cities such as Vancouver, Canada`s most expensive housing market, where prices have also fallen almost 13 per cent since May. Across Canada, prices have dropped 10 per cent since November 2007, when the average home cost $311,485. Sales slipped 42 per cent year-over-year. -With consumer confidence at 25-year lows and the economy in recession, potential home buyers are staying on the sidelines until prospects brighten. Banks are also more reluctant to lend money to finance home purchases in markets where prices have been falling. -"It was back to reality in 2008, " said CIBC World Markets economist Benjamin Tal. "The realization was that house prices can fall, and will fall." Tal said we moved from a seller`s market to a buyer`s market "in a matter of months." "This was a transitional year. A reflection of not a subprime-type meltdown, not of a bubble, but rather of recessionary conditions," said Tal. -The puncturing of the real estate bubble in 2008 has happened before. In the early 1990s, property values fell between 10 per cent and 20 per cent in many Canadian markets. In the 1980-81 recession, interest rates of more than 20 per cent in Canada squeezed inflation out of the economy but also caused thousands of homeowners to lose their houses because they couldn`t afford their new payments when they refinanced their mortgages.

-Tal expects national house prices to drop about 10 per cent in the next 12 months as the recession deepens in Canada
. He said prices will drop the most in Western Canada, because that is where they had the biggest run up in the housing boom
, which has lasted nearly a decade. "The decline is going to be significant
, but it`s not going to be a freefall," Tal said. "The U.S., minus subprime, equals Canada."

-Canada`s falling housing market is often compared to the United States, where prices nationally have fallen by 20 per cent since their peak in mid-2006, and up to 40 per cent in some cities

-While many real estate experts say Canada does not have the same problem with risky lending practices, Merrill Lynch Canada economist David Wolf maintains Canada is following the same path as the U.S., but with a two-year lag
. He said while mortgage defaults might seem low at 0.29 per cent of about 3.9 million mortgages as of September, it`s a 17 per cent year-over-year increase
. It`s also larger than the 0.18 per cent of mortgage defaults in Canada in 1990, "right around the peak in house prices and just after the cyclical trough in unemployment." He also cited a Bank of Canada study released a year ago that said mortgage default rates would rise to 2.25 per cent under a "very extreme" scenario of a 23 per cent aggregate drop in house prices
. "In sum, the relatively low level of mortgage arrears in Canada is of no comfort to us,"
said Wolf, who in recent reports has turned bearish on the Canadian housing market

-The Bank of Canada warned recently that, in a worse-case scenario, mortgage and consumer debt defaults could rise "significantly" if the global financial crisis deteriorates
. It said the number of "vulnerable households" - the three per cent with a debt-to-income ratio above 40 per cent - could double by the end of next year

-Scotiabank economist Adrienne Warren said she too expects the housing market in Canada to soften next year, particularly in the next six months as the recession creates higher unemployment
. "I think it`s the type of environment where we won`t see a lot of activity from buyers or sellers," said Warren. She said the housing boom had to end eventually, after lasting more than a decade. The normal cycle is usually about six or seven years, she said. Warren said she doesn`t anticipate another boom once the market recovers
, which she predicts will be in the last half of 2009.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/081226/...ss/year_housing

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
yes, if you bought at the peak in 2007 and must sell in 2009 .. this is not a good combo ..

and yes, 2009 RE values will likely be slightly lower than 2008 .. and news/media will be EVEN WORSE, especially 1Q and 2Q 2009 ... with unemployment to peak in 2Q 2009 .. with a slow and gradual recovery in latter half of 2009 and 2010 !

Sounds like a buying opportunity to me in 2009 !!!

Consider this positive news:

Canada has the lowest debt per capita of any G7 nation
Canada`s banking system was rated #1 in the world
CMHC insured mortgages are widely available, up to 95% of property value
Mortgages are cheap
many motivated sellers
prime is low, and might go even lower
conservatives will likely stay in power
Canada has an immigration of over 1% and those folks have to eat, rent or buy homes, buy stuff like cars, Vespas, new jackets and shoes
Christmas 2008 shopping was a lot better than expected

Will you find better bargains in the stock market ? Perhaps .. but well located, reasonably priced, prudently levered, impeccably managed and appropriately renovated rental real estate will be in demand and will be profitable !

Happy New Year + Successful Investing in 2009 !!

Jack

Registered
QUOTE Sounds like a buying opportunity to me in 2009 !!!
I would probably
agree with you...I would also probably suggest that the best buying opportunity would be in Q4, where there`s always traditionally less sales volume, meaning that there`ll probably be more panicing/motivated vendors, and economic blood will probably still be everywhere on the streets...

What does this mean? Time to prepare
- get your balance sheets prettied up, have access to cash, etc.

tonyla

Registered
Good article!

I just think there is a little bit too much fear mongering in it.

Just to put some perspective on things.

The "very extreme" situation that Wolf points to and then elaborates on is my opinion and academic exercise at best. The Bank of Canada presented this as the "worst case scenario" in it`s study and said that the most likely outcome is for a slow recovery.

Another data point is that according to Sept 2008 data from the Standard and Poors "S&P/Case-Shiller1 Home Price Indices" housing prices in the US nation wide have dropped on average %16.6. Which is still well below the 23% target in the "worst case scenario" being presented. Needless to say the US housing market is significantly worse off.

nepoez

Registered
Yes it`s time to get prepared! However, since my 2nd property which was bought in Q4, and still vacant.. I am now not a big fan of buying at Q4 or early Q1 unless it`s already rented out.

Dan_Eisenhauer

Registered
I have not been in the rental market long enough to experience first hand that it slows down in the same way that residential sales markets slows down Q3 through Q1. Having said that, one year I sold my first house for the year on January 2nd that year. AND... I was the second to post a sale on our "Sales Board" that year.

From what I have read here, and it make sense if it follows the sales market, fewer people are looking in Q4 than at other times of the year. I, too, have a vacancy right now. But, I have been assured the deposit cheque is on its way to me, and I am considering it rented.

For those with vacancies right now, hang in there. It is likely the time of year, not the economy. Tenants do move throughout the entire year.

Jack

Registered
QUOTE For those with vacancies right now, hang in there. It is likely the time of year, not the economy. Tenants do move throughout the entire year.

I would say that it`s more likely the price.

This isn`t a time where you should be fighting for every last dollar. Get good tenants in there ASAP. Looking at the probabilities of vacancies, the reality is that if you have a place that`s vacant for 3 - 4 weeks, you`re very likely too expensive.

GarthChapman

Registered
QUOTE (Jack @ Dec 28 2008, 04:15 PM) Looking at the probabilities of vacancies, the reality is that if you have a place that`s vacant for 3 - 4 weeks, you`re very likely too expensive.

Normally yes, but not necessarily so in Dec & Jan. If you are not getting a good number of calls by the middle of Jan then it could be that your rent is too high.

Top Bottom