Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Canada Reeling From Oil`s Collapse

Jack

Registered
-Canada’s currency may extend its biggest annual decline on record, as tumbling crude prices hobble foreign investment in the country’s oil patch, according to the world’s biggest strategists and economists. -The Canadian dollar fell 18 percent this year as a global recession cut demand for commodities, which generate half the country’s exports. Canada’s current-account surplus, the broadest measure of trade, will turn into deficit in 2009, said Toronto- based Scotia Capital Inc., a unit of Canada’s third-biggest bank.-“A scaling back of foreign direct investment is a negative for the Canadian dollar,” said Eric Lascelles, chief economics strategist in Toronto at TD Securities Inc., a unit of Canada’s second-largest bank. “If there is less investment in oil sands, there will be less production and less exporting down the road,” he said, referring to the world’s biggest energy pool outside Saudi Arabia.
-Deutsche Bank AG of Frankfurt, the world’s biggest currency trader, forecasts the Canadian dollar will weaken to C$1.30 by the end of 2009, while Zurich-based UBS AG, the second-biggest trader, sees it depreciating to C$1.33

-“Foreign companies will be very unlikely to start new projects unless the price of oil rebounds,”
said Dustin Reid, director of currency strategy at RBS Global Banking & Markets in Chicago. “It clearly is not a good signal for the Canadian dollar from a longer-term perspective.”

-Royal Dutch Shell Plc, based in The Hague, and StatoilHydro ASA, Norway’s biggest oil producer, are among companies that deferred or canceled at least 14 projects this year in Alberta’s oil sands
. Oil collapsed more than $100 since July to a low of $32.40 a barrel, less than half the price needed to make oil- sands projects economically viable
, according to estimates by the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers.

-Oil-sands projects will be profitable if
crude is priced at $95 to $100 a barrel
in coming decades, said Ryan Toddhttp://http://search.bloomberg.com/...F-8&filter=p&getfields=wnnis&sort=date:D:S:d1, a Deutsche Bank analyst in New York.

-“Much of the activity in the oil patch was investment, not production,”
said David Watthttp://http://search.bloomberg.com/...F-8&filter=p&getfields=wnnis&sort=date:D:S:d1, a senior currency strategist at RBC Capital Markets in Toronto. “That production is set to start in coming years but recent decisions on mothballing put some risk into that conclusion
.”

-“A deficit can only mean bad things for the currency,”
said Carlos Leitaohttp://http://search.bloomberg.com/...F-8&filter=p&getfields=wnnis&sort=date:D:S:d1 at Montreal-based Laurentian Bank Securities, who was ranked second among the world’s most accurate economists in a survey by Bloomberg News last month. “If oil remains in this range of $40 or even less, the Canadian dollar won’t be going up.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...mp;refer=canada

MonteDobson

Registered
Keep the headlines coming my friend. The more I see, the more undervalued stocks and real estate I want to buy in 2009.

What an opportunity!!

RedlineBrett

Registered
I promise to do my part to increase demand by burning some donuts on the drive home. Someone has to kick-start this economy!

QUOTE (C2Ventures @ Dec 30 2008, 05:24 PM) Keep the headlines coming my friend. The more I see, the more undervalued stocks and real estate
I want to buy in 2009.

What an opportunity!!

nepoez

Registered
I supposed it`s good news, too bad that I jumped into the game already staring summer 2008. Perhaps I shoulda waited longer. Not all is loss, I can still wait for next year to come.

tonyla

Registered
I don`t dispute the facts but I find it curious that alot of these economists are so bearish on our currency. They give Governments running deficits as a reason why the currency will devalue. But that`s exactly what they have been doing south of the boarder, only a few magnitudes larger. Obama is proposing another trillion dollar economic package. With the growth of the US money supply how does it appreciate (in the long run) against the CAD? Is it really because we are running a deficit in Canada???

Jack

Registered
QUOTE I don`t dispute the facts but I find it curious that alot of these economists are so bearish on our currency.

In short, our currency is directly tied to the price of oil.

Brett - very good response.

scottw

Registered
Has anyone heard of the Amero?? If it is a reality, our currency will be worthless.

tonyla

Registered
QUOTE (Jack @ Dec 31 2008, 12:26 AM) In short, our currency is directly tied to the price of oil.

Brett - very good response.

I understand our currency is coupled to the price of oil, but the reasoning that he puts forth doesn`t make sense to me.

wealthyboomer

Registered
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Dec 30 2008, 06:40 PM) I promise to do my part to increase demand by burning some donuts on the drive home. Someone has to kick-start this economy!

LOL...Good luck with trying to find some pavement in this city right now, in order to do that...hahaha

ChrisRichards

Registered
QUOTE (tonyla @ Dec 31 2008, 12:04 PM) I understand our currency is coupled to the price of oil, but the reasoning that he puts forth doesn`t make sense to me.

Simply put, buyers of Canadian products need to pay us in Canadian dollars (even if they pay us in USD, we then need to convert to CAD$). When there is high demand for Canadian product, such as oil, then correspondingly, their is high demand for the Canadian dollar. The reverse is true.

Currency is also the "stock price" of your country. The more foreign interest in our "stock" the higher our stock price.

Happy New Year!

GarthChapman

Registered
QUOTE (ChrisRichards @ Jan 1 2009, 12:34 PM) Simply put, buyers of Canadian products need to pay us in Canadian dollars (even if they pay us in USD, we then need to convert to CAD$). When there is high demand for Canadian product, such as oil, then correspondingly, their is high demand for the Canadian dollar. The reverse is true.

Currency is also the "stock price" of your country. The more foreign interest in our "stock" the higher our stock price.

Happy New Year!

Very true. Also the (sometimes large) influence of currency speculators on currency values. They drove our dollar through $1.10 USD and then down through $0.80 USD in less than 1 year. Those highs and lows would have been a good 10 percent diminished without their participation in the currency markets.

Top Bottom