Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Canada Real Estate - Poor Online Presence - Hardly any good websites - WHY?

iref2017

New Forum Member
Registered
Hello Folks. I am new to the Canadian Real Estate Market and wondering if there are any good websites to research, buy and sell real estate. Although the real estate market seems very transparent but I am unable to find a one-stop shop/website that has good content/discussion/data/listings.

Canada's internet penetration is amongst the highest in the world but there is hardly any participation on the very few real estate websites. Why?

Courtney Hammond

Courtney Hammond
Registered
I'm guessing it has to do with Canadian real estate/privacy laws/regulations. I was surprised on how much I could find online for US properties (sold history, who's on title, area comps, market comps...) everything I have to either pay for- or ask my realtor for was right there... it was very handy to not have to go through a few people to find the basics.

For the research part- you need to build a team.. a good realtor, mortgage broker, property manager.... you can get all the same information but need to use professionals for some of it- and/or string together your own system.

moki

New Forum Member
Registered
Realtor.ca is very good in my opinion.

One of the biggest problems is each real estate board. Quebec for example (surprise surprise). They refuse to allow their listings to appear on the "public shared pool". That would allow all Quebec listings to be analyzed by website developers which would in turn create cool apps or websites that use that information.

But nope. Quebec refuses to allow that. Very frustrating.

Beekewalker

New Forum Member
Registered
I think they have several rules and regulations in Canada. It might be some of the restrictions they face.

Alvaro Sanchez

Ottawa-Gatineau Investor
Registered
Pick an area that you want to invest and then locate different online tools. There are some jurisdictions where you can get tax info (property taxes, owners, etc) online free or use their paid services.

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
Depends what you are looking for. I'm assuming you are looking for a direct investment personally? Realtor.ca is a good resource, as stated above. Most cities have interactive zoning maps. Use the economic development website to learn about the city. Best demographic website is the CMHC Portal. If you want bigger deals, then go through the brokerage houses same as in any country in the world: CBRE, JLL, Colliers, Cushman & Wakefield.

The great deals in real estate are mostly done by private equity equity firms that move fairly quickly and purchase assets, execute a value add strategy, and get out in a reasonable time frame. If you want detailed information on those it is very hard to come by. Some good funds out there, including from members of this forum.

Top Bottom