Calgary ups Property Tax by 4.6%

Ally

Research Assistant
Registered
Mar 24, 2009
Langley
CALGARY - It`s official: Calgarians` overall property taxes are going up 4.6 per cent this year, including a contentious 5.3 per cent hike to the municipal portion of the bill.

City council approved the increases by an 11 to 4 vote Monday, putting the final nail in the coffin of a debate that saw fierce back-and-forths among politicians and led hundreds of angry Calgarians to effectively storm City Hall last year.

Property tax bills will be sent out around June, with the average residential property owner seeing a $90 spike compared to last year`s bill.

The taxes are made up of a municipal portion and a provincial education portion. The latter will see a 3.9 per cent increase, while the municipal half will go up 5.3 per cent — leading to an overall spike of 4.6 per cent when the two are combined.

Ald. Andre Chabot, Ald, Diane Colley-Urquhart, Ald. Joe Connelly and Ald. Ric McIver opposed the municipal hikes.

By Joel Kom, Calgary Herald
http://www.calgaryherald.com/Business/Calg...8694/story.html

RedlineBrett

Registered
Oct 24, 2007
Calgary
Between this and all the speed on green tickets they`re handing out there should be no shortage of $$ for our city council to work with.

So hurry up and give me my ring road! And give my tenants that west LRT already!

Mar 26, 2009
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Apr 28 2009, 01:34 PM) Between this and all the speed on green tickets they`re handing out there should be no shortage of $$ for our city council to work with.

So hurry up and give me my ring road! And give my tenants that west LRT already!
Couldn`t agree more with your points! But I`m sure we will just start paying more for things we do for free (see recycling).

RedlineBrett

Registered
Oct 24, 2007
Calgary
QUOTE (Fortuneinvesting @ Apr 28 2009, 05:41 PM) Couldn`t agree more with your points! But I`m sure we will just start paying more for things we do for free (see recycling).
My wife and I did our best to sort all our recyclables and take them to the bins in our neighborhood but we found that to be a pain. Then we paid for a private service to take recyclables from our house and do this for us but even that was a pain.

I don`t mind paying for the blue box service. I love being able to toss everything in that bin and chuck it in the alley. Hopefully we`ll see a lot less trash being sent to landfills!