Calgary Appreciation

DaveRhydderch

Registered
QUOTE (JNB @ Aug 1 2009, 08:10 PM) What do everyone think of areas like the NE Calgary, area like the Saddlerige, Martindale and Taradele? 2 more new train stations coming and the close proximity to the NE ring road which is almost done.

Personally I`m a big fan of this area. The mall in Balzac, the work being done at the airport, and in general the work in the north part of Calgary are all current and future areas of employment. I`ve got a few properties up here and find it very easy to rent. The tenant profile is improving too.

DaveRhydderch

Registered
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Aug 3 2009, 02:47 PM) Stay away from bridgeland.

I am also interested in why you dislike Bridgeland?

JBagorio

Registered
QUOTE (DaveRhydderch @ Aug 4 2009, 02:51 PM) Personally I`m a big fan of this area. The mall in Balzac, the work being done at the airport, and in general the work in the north part of Calgary are all current and future areas of employment. I`ve got a few properties up here and find it very easy to rent. The tenant profile is improving too.

Good point about the other developments happening around the area. I almost forgot about the Mall and the airport development. I also have some rental properties in the area for the past 4 years and to be honest I have not seen any issues with the type of tenants I`ve been brining in and have control over.

Regarding the zoning would there be a chance that this area will be rezoned to R2 in the future given the way most of the properties are set up? I notice that most of them have separate entrances to the basement and some have good frontage space.

JBagorio

Registered
QUOTE (DaveRhydderch @ Aug 4 2009, 02:55 PM) I am also interested in why you dislike Bridgeland?

This would be just my assumption, but the main reason to stay away from Bridgeland is due to the migration of the East Village squatters. Given that the City has been cleaning up the East Village most of the crime and bad dealing is moving up across the bridge.

greg12

Registered
QUOTE (MitchCollins @ Jul 31 2009, 09:39 AM) REIN Team;
You guys think Calgary will really see an average 10-12% across the board price jump this year
?

I`m just curious about what other investors think about that number.

Thanks!

This discussion started March last year Mitch. It is probably more like -10% this year.

NikZad

Registered
I believe Victoria Park is an area that has currently become oversaturated with condos due to all the new construction however with all of the amazing rejuvenation in Parks (memorial park especially), retail businesses (labeled the new fashion district), restaurants and the area cleaning up considerably from where it was a few short years ago you will see this quickly become one of the trendiest and most desirable areas to live in Calgary`s Inner City. I would consider looking at older condo buildings that will give you a significantly better price per square foot than buying in a new building or looking to purchase units from over extended investors who may be willing to sell cheaper as they purchased in 2005! A few developers are also discounting the prices of there existing units further as original purchasers have walked away from their deposits and the developer has more room to move on units.

East Village is still far away from being the gem the city promised years ago, i would stay away for now! Bridgeland is a nice area but if you`re looking for night life I would recommend living closer to the core!

QUOTE (lilbuffet @ Aug 3 2009, 01:28 PM) Im looking for purchasing a principle residence in one of the following areas in Calgary. Which do you guys think would have the best appreciation rates given a 4-5 year time frame.

1) Bridgeland
2) Connought
3) Crescent Heights
4) East Village
5) Victoria Park
6) Hillhurst

Ive been told to focus in on Victoria Park and East Village, but what are your thoughts?

Thanks!