Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Business Liability Number

TiffanyS

Registered
Hi there,

In the last few years I have run credit checks (through Credit Info Canada) on all interested applicants prior to renting to them. Today I had one lady ask me if I had a Business Liability Number in order to run these credit checks, and when I told her I didn't, she accused me of being a fraud and has threatened to report me to the City.

I apologize if I am missing something very important here, but can someone please let me know if this is something I require?

Thanks for your time

Tiffany

MosaicRentals

Registered
I am aware that you need Business Liability Insurance but to do credit checks? First I've heard of it and I have been doing it for 30 years.

MarkHealy

Registered
I see you are from Calgary. We've been renting here from 1971 and to my knowledge still don't have a business liability number. We have had a business license from the city. Usually larger multi-family/apartments need the licenses, suites just need land use. You can have a business number with CRA but rentalsl can't charge GST and unless you are a corporation that manages or has other business you don't "need" a business number either.

I will watch this line to learn more of the mythical business liability number.

But remember if the renter gives you this much grief before the lease you may have dodge a bullet by not renting to them

TiffanyS

Registered
Thank you for your comments. It was the first I'd heard of it too, so glad to hear this is mutual.

I agree, a potential headache of a tenant has been avoided, which is always good news :)

Tiffany

Top Bottom