Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Budget offers ground-breaking tax-free savings account for Canadians

joeiannuzzi

Registered
A new tax-free savings account was a groundbreaking surprise in the federal budget that experts predict will be attractive to middle and upper-middle income Canadians who can afford to set aside the limit of $5,000 a year. Starting next year, Canadians aged 18 and older can save up to $5,000 a year in a registered Tax-Free Savings Account, a new vehicle that essentially allows people to enjoy the benefits of a tax-free offshore account as long as they want without sending their money out of the country.

http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=36fc67...c5-afc586ff80f2

lewatson

Registered
I found these comments over the course of the article"But interest and investment income - including capital gains - earned in the account will not be taxed when it is withdrawn, as is the case with RRSP withdrawals."

The benefits, however, are real. A family of four, for example, would enjoy a gain of $4,000 after 10 years if each spouse or common-law partner invested $5,000 a year in a guaranteed income certificate earning interest of four per cent.

People can buy any investment vehicle they choose and place it into the registered tax-free account.
And they can contribute to their spouse`s, or common-law partner`s tax-free account, depending on the available room.

Funds can be withdrawn without penalty at any time whether the money is used to buy a house,
a car, go on vacation, start a new business or pay off a debt. There are no restrictions on how the money is spent."

If I start looking behind the curtain again this tells me that this is encouraging Canadians to save, not invest. After saving $10K for 10 years the family has amassed $100K with only $4K to show for it. To me that is a huge opportunity cost. That same $100K could have been leveraged into multiple downpayments on properties that would have yielded increasing cash flow over the same 10 years along with the potential for sizable equity appreciation.

These two lines I find especially interesting: "buy any investment vehicle they choose" & "can be withdrawn without penalty at any time whether the money is used to buy a house" ... what can you buy for $5000? More mutuals, stocks or GICs. And they`ve implied properties cannot be purchased and protected within the account. Hmmm, it makes me wonder what industry might have been pushing for this. Are there any MICs you can get into for $5K?

Would love to hear what others see behind the curtain and what sort of impact (+ or -) you see this having on approaching JV partners.

lewatson

Registered
Came across this article from the Globe & Mail worth reading:A savings fund but no capital gains tax break

"The program does promise to funnel even more of Canadians` savings toward the mutual fund industry, which yesterday applauded the TFSA."

"The plan covers only traditional savings and investment products, not real estate assets
– the area that represents the biggest potential capital gains for most Canadians."

"Finally, it will offer no tax deductions for capital losses absorbed on individual stock investments
, something investors can do when investing outside any tax-sheltered program.
"

Top Bottom