Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Brantford`s South Side of Colborne Street to be demolished

TheMarshall

Registered
The south side of coborne street has been an eyesore for many years. After much discussion and debate city council voted to demolish it in January.
There is still much resistance, even though money has been donated to help with the rehabilitation. See link: The Star Brantford Article

rforgiel

REIN Member
Adam,

I find the locals are all for tearing down the buildings.
Not being from the area but investing in Brantford, I find it disappointing and short sighted.
As the price of oil continues to climb and people resist urban sprawl downtowns cores will become the place to live. Also look at communities that have revitalized themselves. They have done it by refurbishing what is already their, keeping their sense of history and community. This decision will be seen as a mistake in 10 years.

It is my understanding there are no plans to replace the buildings taken down or does city counsel have a plan.

I just hope things get done properly now. Will the fronts of the buildings face onto Colborne Street of should they overlook the Grand River. I always found the layout of downtown strange in how it did not incorporate the water.

It also strikes me that the Six Nations will put up a fight when development starts. I have heard from a couple of well informed sources, that relations will get worse and it will be a couple of generations to resolve this dispute.

Keep us informed as to the developments of the down town core.

TheMarshall

Registered
QUOTE (rforgiel @ Jun 9 2010, 09:31 AM) Adam,

I find the locals are all for tearing down the buildings.
Not being from the area but investing in Brantford, I find it disappointing and short sighted.
As the price of oil continues to climb and people resist urban sprawl downtowns cores will become the place to live. Also look at communities that have revitalized themselves. They have done it by refurbishing what is already their, keeping their sense of history and community. This decision will be seen as a mistake in 10 years.

It is my understanding there are no plans to replace the buildings taken down or does city counsel have a plan.

I just hope things get done properly now. Will the fronts of the buildings face onto Colborne Street of should they overlook the Grand River. I always found the layout of downtown strange in how it did not incorporate the water.

It also strikes me that the Six Nations will put up a fight when development starts. I have heard from a couple of well informed sources, that relations will get worse and it will be a couple of generations to resolve this dispute.

Keep us informed as to the developments of the down town core.

Ramon, you raise some important questions, many of which we share.
i do not know what the final plans will be, I have heard that the YMCA are looking to build on that location and Mohawk College is interested in locating there, pending federal government grants.
SC Johnson has donated $1 Million dollars to help both organizations build on that location.

I agree, Brantford has done a very poor job of waterfront planning, this is a real jewel that needs to be focused on.
in either case, I believe it presents some great opportunities for the city and the organizations involved.
I will keep things posted.

Any questions, please let me know.

Ready4Rent

Registered
The demolition has started two buildings down yesterday. I agree that the process was messed up from the begining. But glad to see SOMETHING happen there, but as stated above once it is all down there is NO PLAN.....

Top Bottom