Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BOC raises rates to 1%

bizaro86

Registered
http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/fixed-dates/...ate_080910.html

The Bank of Canada raised rates again today, so variable rate mortgages and LOCs are about to go up. It`ll be interesting to see what the tipping point is for when it starts to really affect people`s attitude towards purchasing. Maybe it already has.

This will also put my choice last year of a 5 year fixed into the black shortly, as it was a 5 year, 3.69%, and the best variable I could get was prime +0.90%, which would now be up to 3.90%. We`ll see what happens in the next four years, but I`m starting to feel confident that fixed was the right move.

Any thoughts on what the BOC will do in October?

Michael

housingrental

Registered
I bet contrary to popular belief that we`ll see another rate raise soon - possibly not October though

JoeRagona

Registered
I agree Adam, I think there is still a rise coming but early 2011. Really though, it doesnt matter at least to my portfolio, I`ve factored in a rise in rates. I need to worry about increasing my portfolio not if my current one will be able to support the rate change. If that`s the case, you (not you Adam) have incorrectly analyzed the numbers at the start.

ontariolandlord

Registered
I`m certainly not worried or overly concerned.
However, I`m also not happy.
Ontario has a $20 billion deficit and over $200 billion debt. Unemployment is still high. Rental rates have not made any large increase since 2007. The US is still in trouble. There is talk of a double-dip recession. The Canadian housing market is not on solid footing.

Why not simply hold the line? Even our Dear Dad Dalton McGuinty pressured the BoC to hold rates steady.

Top Bottom