Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ATB mortgage math

KenReynolds

Registered
I recently had a discussion with a banker at the Alberta Treasury Branch as to why the principal on one of my mortgages had increased from one month to the next.

Although she was less than confident with her answer and had to confirm with a senior colleague, she told me that ATB, unlike any other banks that I deal with, accrues the interest for 6 months and then charges that against the mortgage at the end of the 6 month period. (Every other bank I deal with has a straight forward approach whereby the mortgage payment is split between interest and principal and, each and every month, the principal owed is less than the month before.)

ATB claims, and I need to verify, that each month the entire mortgage payment goes toward reducing the principal and therefore the interest would need to be charged against the mortgage at the end of the 6 months. The banker said that this approach is actually better than what most banks do because the entire payment goes toward reducing the principal.

My question is: Does anyone know the math on this and whether this is a wash financially (as compared with what happens with most banks)? That is, are there hidden costs to this approach? And bottom line, does the ATB way of calculating actually benefit the customer or is one worse off with this approach?

I`d love to believe the banker and what "he said, she said" but I`ve dealt with the banks for tooooooo long .........

Cheers, and have a Great Day!

navaz

Registered
Sounds like she is discussing the issue of compounding annually, semi-annually etc. I do not remember the calculation from my school days, but there are a lot of calculators on net for making this calculation. All the mortgages I have dealt with have been compounded semi-annually. I do not think ATB is any different -but all you need to do is to check your documents that state the compounding period. then find one of the calculators and check it if you want.

RobMacdonald

Registered
That is the first I`ve heard of that one...........

To be sure, I would ask ATB to provide you with an ammortization schedule for your mortage from the original date of inception. Then print off a schedule from any website. Genworth.ca gives you lots of options for calculators.

This should identify any significant differences. If the balance is similar at the end of of every 6 or 12 month period, then everything should be fine.

Rob

Top Bottom