Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Am I paying too much for carpet?

marcp

Registered
Hi all,
I am wondering if my quote is in the balllpark:

$1006 for 190 square feet, just a living room, no stairs or fancy cutting.

The carpet is 2.72 per square feet.

Carpet cost is $521.90, install is $437.00.

Are these numbers reasonable?

cmattric

REIN Member
QUOTE (marcp @ Feb 8 2010, 08:39 AM) Hi all,

The company I used to work for was asking $1.99/sqft installation+carpet. This is for standard berber low traffic suitable for rentals. A little better quality is called upgrade berber is $2.99/sqft. High quality starts from $3.99.

These prices includes underpad, carpet, installation, shipping.

PM me if you need an installation quote from private sources. My connections are already working for big companies during the day, and buy wholesale, sell&install with small profit.

"Home depot charges to kill"

brentdavies

Registered
That`s the top of the line for the price for the home handyman. $47.90 per yard of carpet. Hope you are not installing in a rental property.
9 square feet = 1 square yard. My grey hair is showing as I always convert flooring back to the yard measure, as the flooring pros do.We pay $20-25 per yard installed in apartments. That is supply and install, removal of the old.

You must have gold plated tenants.

jwilbrin

Registered
QUOTE (marcp @ Feb 8 2010, 08:39 AM) Hi all,

Hi MarcP,

that is high. check out places like End of the Roll where you can get a good mid range to high end carpet anywhere from .99 cent to 1.99 per sq. ft.

My advise is to stay away from berber: they snag easily, show furniture impressions which you can never get out and become horribly matted down in high traffic areas such as hallways. Not to mention they do not clean well even with professional carpet cleaners. Three years ago I switched to short shag... DON`T CRINGE... it`s not the hideous long 70`s stuff. It`s the stuff that they are using in all the new show homes now. I`ve even seen them used in many $1.5M plus homes. It`s worth a look.

The short shag is amazing. It comes in a wide variety of designer colors (nice dark taupes, charcoals and browns that hide stains really well). They have excellent fibre memory so when a tenant moves out a good vacuum and shampoo will allow the fibres to bounce back into place leaving no trace of furniture impressions. They have a much longer life than berber. In the past we were replacing berber and plush every 5 years or so. I was just recently in a couple of my units that have had the short shag for the past 3 years and it looks like it was just installed last month. It has held up so well. I am confident we will get way more than 5 years out of this carpet.

If you are looking for a very knowledgeable and helpful carpet guy. Chat with Lee at End of the Roll on 32 Ave NE (assuming you are in Calgary) -- the more I deal with him and that store the better my deals get. They have an installer by the name of Terry who is wonderful. He has installed carpet for me in my multiplexes that had newly painted basement boards --when he was done there was not one scratch on the baseboards. He is very careful and extremely respectful of your property.

Nicola

Registered
QUOTE (jwilbrin @ Feb 10 2010, 01:32 AM) Hi MarcP,

that is high. check out places like End of the Roll where you can get a good mid range to high end carpet anywhere from .99 cent to 1.99 per sq. ft.

My advise is to stay away from berber: they snag easily, show furniture impressions which you can never get out and become horribly matted down in high traffic areas such as hallways. Not to mention they do not clean well even with professional carpet cleaners. Three years ago I switched to short shag... DON`T CRINGE... it`s not the hideous long 70`s stuff. It`s the stuff that they are using in all the new show homes now. I`ve even seen them used in many $1.5M plus homes. It`s worth a look.

The short shag is amazing. It comes in a wide variety of designer colors (nice dark taupes, charcoals and browns that hide stains really well). They have excellent fibre memory so when a tenant moves out a good vacuum and shampoo will allow the fibres to bounce back into place leaving no trace of furniture impressions. They have a much longer life than berber. In the past we were replacing berber and plush every 5 years or so. I was just recently in a couple of my units that have had the short shag for the past 3 years and it looks like it was just installed last month. It has held up so well. I am confident we will get way more than 5 years out of this carpet.

If you are looking for a very knowledgeable and helpful carpet guy. Chat with Lee at End of the Roll on 32 Ave NE (assuming you are in Calgary) -- the more I deal with him and that store the better my deals get. They have an installer by the name of Terry who is wonderful. He has installed carpet for me in my multiplexes that had newly painted basement boards --when he was done there was not one scratch on the baseboards. He is very careful and extremely respectful of your property.

Very useful information. Any suggested brand names?

Also, any recommendations for Edmonton?

Thanks,
Nicola

marcp

Registered
Thanks for all the replies.

I did visit End Of The Roll, and I could have any carpet I wanted there as long as it was brown or beige and either shag or berber.

I want a dark green carpet.

The fellow at End Of The Roll told me that the price I was quoted was in the balllpark, considering the grade of the carpet. This is a nice house with upgrades everywhere (ie a premium rental property), so I picked this new carpet accordingly.

I will definitely consider some of the recommendations above for my suited bungalow.

Cheers!

Top Bottom