Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

A Property Manager Can Save Your Ass

ChrisDavies

Registered
Normally I don`t share blog posts here, but this was pretty apt since it`s related to another thread here about AHS. The original post is Property Management Can Save Your AssThere’s a cliche in the real estate business that you make your money when you buy. It sounds all fancy and sexy to say things like:

I bought a place 25% under value or I never pay more than 75cents on the dollar.

For the rest of us in the real world, buying is only the start of a long, complex and often stressful road. Guys like Russell and Don will tell you to stop grinding down sellers, buy in the right areas and pay what something’s worth. Good property management, effective leverage and economic fundamentals will make you more money than you can shake a stick at.

Good Property Management is the new Black

The most often cited cause of stress, foreclosure or gross stupidity is failure to manage a property and tenants well. Failing to buy well only results in loss of a deal or tighter cashflow. Failing to manage well results in total loss of equity, damage to your property, lawsuits, negative cashflow, midnight moves, visits to the Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Board and swift consumption of your reserve fund.

Managed right you’ll have steady cashflow, reliable and respectful tenants, preventive maintenance done right and a fantastic asset for your exit strategy.

The Best Advice Around

I went shopping for condos last month in North Edmonton and stopped at a complex called Castlewood (circa 109st and 165ave, Google Map and Streetview). They’re two story complexes that are listed and seem to be 3-bedrooms. My Realtor is also very experienced property manager (he only does real estate sales now) and knew that the window in the third bedroom wouldn’t meet the safety standards. We automatically walked out of the complex because I won’t waste my time on units that don’t conform. I don’t want the risk.

Not two weeks later I saw this post on myREINspace. Here’s the important parts of the post:

We have three three-bedroom townhouses in a complex of 80 units. The owners of the Condominium received a letter stating that one of the bedrooms is not to be used for sleeping purposes. It is not safe because the window in that room is 9 feet from the ground and cannot be reached and opened from the inside without the use of tools or special knowledge.

We have contacted AHS for clarifications and for solutions that we could apply in our units immediately, since our tenants have been using that room as a bedroom. All our suggestions such as pocket door, or emergency ladder were declined….

Our plan is to work with a lawyer to file an appeal and at the same time work with the Condo Board to find a common solution. The Condo Board has not been very pro-active in this regard and transferred the problem to the owners, since “all owner occupied premises are strongly discouraged from utilizing the affected room for the purposes of sleeping.” However, the officer from [Alberta Health Services] left very clear that if they have an inspection and somebody is using that room for sleeping purposes in a rental unit, the owner and the Board will have to respond. It is a huge liability.

I don’t know if it’s the same complex, but there’s at least three others I’m familiar with that have the same problem.

And that one move earned Brent every penny of his commission.

Nir

REIN Member
Thank You Chris,

What an excellent explanation and reminder of what the top priority should really be when investing in RE!

Regards,
Neil

lgrossi

Registered
Hello everyone,

The posting regarding the issue with Alberta Health Services is mine. When we bought the properties we had a realtor, also a real estate investor. Castlewood Condominium has been there for 33 years. We bought the properties three years ago, and we have never had any problem. The situation seems to be unique. The City of Edmonton and the fire department are OK. We are working in some measures that will bring the properties in compliance with AHS. Usually when looking for properties you have a realtor, not a property manager. My advice is get a copy of the Minimum Housing Standards available at AHS website and go shopping with that on hand.

We have talked to a lot of people and what we have found is that most windows in townhouses in Edmonton are not in compliance with AHS.

VerticalProperties

Registered
Yes great Piece.... We don`t sell properties along with managing them but we do offer a value add of going out with our clients who are in acquisition mode and put on the consulting hat ... 99% of the time it is in our best interest to help our client get the right properties in order to protect and grow their investments.

Cheers

Jake

housingrental

Registered
I think most good property management companies can relate.
QUOTE (VerticalProperties @ May 27 2010, 04:39 PM) Yes great Piece.... We don`t sell properties along with managing them but we do offer a value add of going out with our clients who are in acquisition mode and put on the consulting hat ... 99% of the time it is in our best interest to help our client get the right properties in order to protect and grow their investments.

Cheers

Jake

brentdavies

Registered
Realtors motivation is to get you to buy today, so they get a commission.

Good realtors understand the difference between good properties that cash flow and low priced properties that newbies love to buy. Educating the clients on what to buy is sometimes very hard, time comsuming, and frusting for both parties.

Great realtors who work with investors understand what can work and what does not. They find the hidden gems and steer thier clients away from the junk. Too few understand or know what an illegal bedroom window is in a rental property.

25% of the older condos in Edmonton have bedroom windows that are too small. 60% of the older walkup apartment buildings have handrails and guardrails that do not meet the current code requirements. Basement suites have headroom issues (too low), window issues (too small), and poor egress (fire safety-exiting).

Rein is being an industry leader by bringing out Alberta Health to explain what the "Minimium Housing Standards" are and how they affect you. (just got the meeting notice)
Very few investors and realtors understand what the standards are. Most realtors will look at you with a blank look, and most property managers grumble.

The down side to not knowing the rules; is the potential of having your tenants die in the suite, and you being at fault, with huge fines and law suits. 3 Calgary landlords were fined $90,000 because 3 people died in a basement suite fire. The law suit has been settled for the one surivor. What caused the fire is not the issue. The small windows and secruity bars did not allow the tenants to vacate the property. Messy situation.

Every landlord in Alberta should take a tape measure to check thier properties, after the next meeting.

Top Bottom