Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

A Bit Concerned!

Beaupre1

Registered
I`ve been a REIN member for a few years now. I believe in the approach and have done rather well with my investing.
I`ve read the discussion boards and see that everyone is happy that the market is taking a breather and it has given them an opportunity to buy more properties.
I`ve basically finished buying properties in Alberta because I will be moving to the states(I am from there) in the coming years to be closer to family and will be buying there as I see plenty of opportunities in the coming years. Having said that, this decline is beginning to disappoint me because I see my equity being eroded. One of my properties having come down about 20% from the peak and it`s in a good area in inner city Calgary (Glenbrook).
I`ve studied the fundamentals and see that they have not changed with in-migration still very strong, incomes going up and unemployment being very low. I realize that listings have skyrocketed over the six months but I also think that with such strong fundamentals shouldn`t sales be up as well to help offset the inventory. Not everyone can be renting.
Earlier this year, I remember Don saying he thought prices would be up another 12.2% and that listings would fall by April.
I am wondering what has changed to extend this decline and when we can expect to start to see an upswing again.

Scott

mikecunning

REIN Member
Oct 21st 2009 at 3:51 PM!

Just kidding.

Don or anyone else can only look at trends and no one has a crystal ball.

We have become used to these massive increases of 30 or 40%. That is not normal. When it goes up that quickly, things have to come down.

Ride it out, watch your ratios and cashflow. There are great opportunities right now for those that are buying.

QUOTE (Beaupre1 @ Aug 14 2008, 07:40 PM) I`ve been a REIN member for a few years now. I believe in the approach and have done rather well with my investing.
I`ve read the discussion boards and see that everyone is happy that the market is taking a breather and it has given them an opportunity to buy more properties.
I`ve basically finished buying properties in Alberta because I will be moving to the states(I am from there) in the coming years to be closer to family and will be buying there as I see plenty of opportunities in the coming years. Having said that, this decline is beginning to disappoint me because I see my equity being eroded. One of my properties having come down about 20% from the peak and it`s in a good area in inner city Calgary (Glenbrook).
I`ve studied the fundamentals and see that they have not changed with in-migration still very strong, incomes going up and unemployment being very low. I realize that listings have skyrocketed over the six months but I also think that with such strong fundamentals shouldn`t sales be up as well to help offset the inventory. Not everyone can be renting.
Earlier this year, I remember Don saying he thought prices would be up another 12.2% and that listings would fall by April.
I am wondering what has changed to extend this decline and when we can expect to start to see an upswing again.

Scott

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
Good for you to post this question, means you are doing your homework!
Sure all investors, especially ones who have only seen a direct up cycle get a little concerned during these inevitable turmoil times.

That is why the system is designed the way it is. During skyrocketing price times, people skip steps in the REIN cash flow system and just run after equity - thinking that they are smarter than the market. Sadly these are the people who enter panic more quickly than those on the buy-rent-cashflow program. I don`t think you are of that group because you are asking this question on the forum.

The timing of the August Western Canada conference is perfect, market turmoil requires hard answers to hard questions and because we don`t sell real estate we can clearly be brutally honest about any city in any region (and I WILL be incredibly brutal on some regions at the Conference).

The Brand New Top 10 Alberta Investment town research has been under way for the last 3.5 months and the results will be released for all Members. It is a massive look at the economics across the province and what the long-term and short term markets are poised to do. (make sure you enter the Top Alberta Towns One-Year Free REIN Membership contest at this link: Guess the Top 10 Towns Contest)

As a preview, here are some of the preliminary findings on your city of Calgary (this is just a small piece of over 10 pages devoted to Calgary`s current and future property markets and economic):

Calgary a Top Alberta Investment City - Despite Today`s market Turmoil.

Calgary has just experienced one of its best economic and real estate periods in Canadian history. With average property value increases, number of property sales, in-migration of people and increase in average wages all hitting record numbers, we are deeming these the "Tiger Woods" years of Alberta real estate. In 2008, the market is making a predictable (albeit soft) correction resulting in slightly more affordable housing compared to recent years passed. It was economically impossible for the market to continue at the pace at which it was heading and now finds itself adjusting to market realities. This adjustment period, as the market searches for its new foundation from which to build, should continue into 2009 when the provincial economy is poised for another growth spurt.

Despite the `posted` vacancy rates, for quality rental properties, vacancy rates are, in essence, at zero for both residential and commercial office space arenas. In fact, Calgary was recently touted as having one of the lowest commercial and office vacancy rates in the world. It is now more expensive to rent a 2-bedroom apartment in Calgary than it is in downtown Vancouver.

Even with the 2006-2007 Calgary`s skyrocketing property values still left the city as one of the most affordable in the country based on average incomes. In 2008, appreciable income gains of 5% year-over-year (in the final quarter of 2007), combined with a market correction in house prices, led to overall affordability improvements (RBC, 2008). This is great news for investors: rents have not decreased (and have actually increased in many regions), but the price of property purchase has decreased resulting in a higher return on investment.

Bottom line: If you have been a Calgary resident for five or more years, you may be thinking that prices are incredibly expensive and you`re asking "How much higher can it get?" Alternately, if you are looking at Calgary from the outside, you will be seeing strong economic fundamentals supporting continued increases in property demand and subsequent value increases, albeit not at the pace of growth we witnessed during these last three "Tiger Woods" years.

Major international and U.S. investors and developers are now moving into Alberta with a fervor and Calgary has become their entry point. They see what the future holds, compared to the other economic regions in the world. A focus on the reality of the economics behind the market is critical at this juncture; it will be important for investors and home-owners alike to pay close attention to the true economic fundamentals that are supporting the market while not getting caught up in headlines and the multitude of `opinions` that inevitably circulate during market adjustment periods. If there were no strong economic fundamentals supporting the market, it would be a good thing to be afraid… however, when you study the long-term strength you will be able to relax an d not let those from out side the country take up all of the good deal and look like geniuses 5 years from now.

Trust this helps. You still have to make your own decisions on what to do with your portfolio, however if you are concerned about the Calgary market with all of the positive economics supporting it... you should be MUCH more concerned with investing in the US with little or no economic support behind it combined with dramatic increases in future foreclosures and walk-aways, tax issues etc. Remember it is not good just because it is cheap... it is all about economics.

See you at the Real Estate Investment Network`s Western Conference on August 23rd in Calgary.

samcansam

Registered
QUOTE (Goodstuff @ Aug 19 2008, 02:17 AM) Why was this message deleted?

I found the answer for my question in another thread so I deleted it.

gwasser

Registered
When studying the great stock market investors such as Benjamin Graham, Warren Buffet, Peter Lynch and John Templeton, they are all saying the same: you can not predict the stockmarket and certianly not in the short term. Market timing (i.e.) determining when it hits bottom (or top) is impossible. You can only invest in good businesses which you buy when they`re on `sale` (or trade at a good price).

Don Campbell`s method is very similar that is why it makes so much sense. Buy value and for the tough times ensure you are protected by positive cashflow. Don also pointed out the cyclicity of the real estate market (Don`s real estate seasons), just like there is in the stock market. The cyclicity is not difficult to recognize once you`re in it. The golden question to answer is when exactly the seasons change. That answer is impossible to predict. If you try to play the exact points of seasonal change you`re basically playing musical chairs. That is not investing, that is gambling.

The toughest thing to do during a downturn or plateau is keeping faith that ultimately prices will turn up. Even tougher is to have the courage to buy in a market when it is down (or on sale). That is no wonder, because everybody else around you is running away and what do they know that you don`t? The truly succesful investor turns that question around and asks "What do I know about the investments in this market? What are the fundamentals - where is the value so that I can pick and choose the best investments and enjoy their rewards when things pick-up again?"

You don`t want to buy in a market collapsed because of poor poor fundamentals like many parts of the U.S. - but you do want to buy in a market supported by a brilliant long term future such as Alberta. The Alberta market will not go up in a straight line, it will have set backs or plateaus - those are buying opportunities. REIN and Don Campbell are helping you to keep faith and buy in markets that are fundamentally healthy. In some ways investing this way seems simple. But in reality, it takes a very strong stomach and faith. Why do you think it is so tough to become a millionair? Here at REIN you get the tools to join the relatively small group of finanically independant people in society.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom