Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

2013 Success

Rickson9

Registered
Although I made no investments in 2013, I saw my portfolio of U.S. property (Phoenix) and U.S. stocks soar to new highs.

REAL ESTATE

I started investing in Phoenix, AZ real estate in late 2009 (first purchase made Jan 2010), buying up condos and detached homes in Phoenix, Surprise and Tolleson. My progress was outlined in a thread on this forum:

http://myreinspace.com/public_forums/Real_Estate_Discussion/62-17378-Canadians_Snap_Up_US_Properties.html

Not surprising, what I was doing was not very popular. I have always invested during unpopular times. But that doesn't really bother me as one of my investing goals is to create wealth; not to be popular.

Although it was very obvious to me to invest in U.S. real estate, many thought
it was unusual, and similar to fighting for a seat on the Titanic. My
interview in the associated press (2010):

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2010/10/04/foreign_buyers_see_big_opportunity_in_housing_bust/

Every property that I purchased had gross rents of 20% of the purchase price of the property. This means that for every $1 that I invested in Phoenix property, I was getting $0.20 in rent per month.

Today all the properties that I purchased in Phoenix have doubled.

Needless to say, the naysayers in the aforementioned REIN thread, no longer post there any more.

As Phoenix recovered, my property values exploded upwards. In 2012, MoneySense magazine decided to do a story on me:

http://www.moneysense.ca/property/be-an-american-landlord-2

In 2013, I had my last interview on the topic, again with MoneySense magazine:

http://www.moneysense.ca/property/own-a-piece-of-paradise

I had long stopped buying Phoenix, AZ property, but the media continued to run with the story. Also by this time, everybody and their brother wanted to invest in U.S. real estate. I had people approaching me and asking me about how to get in. From my perspective, the good times had passed. I had moved on.

STOCKS

As of this posting, the TSX/S&P is up +8%* YTD while my portfolio of U.S. stocks is up at +20% YTD. This is poor compared to the DOW which is up +24%*, the S&P500 which is up +27%* and the NASDAQ which is up +36%*. I always tend to lose to the index during bull markets.

The following are visual representations of my performance over the last 16 years, benchmarked against the S&P500:

Graphical representation

Tabular representation

My performance was good enough for an interview with the Financial Post on my TFSA performance. Although the TFSA represents a small portion of my portfolio, the Financial Post wanted to have articles around the TFSA and to interview those who have done "unusual" things with it.

The TFSA was introduced in Jan 2009. This was during the last stock market meltdown. Again, I felt that this was the best time to invest in stock. And again, I received a lot of doom and gloomers telling me what a mistake I was making. Undeterred, I bought hundreds of shares of retailers The Fossil, Guess? and The Buckle. By 2014, my TFSA portfolio eclipsed $70k and will likely hit $80k soon. The following was my interview in the Financial Post when the account stood at $57k:

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/06/19/this-investors-loves-retail-and-so-does-his-tax-free-savings-account/?__lsa=07c5-e23a

CONCLUSION

I do not employ leverage and I have not purchased any investments in 2013, stocks, real estate or otherwise. The markets simply took everything higher without my meddling. For some perspective regarding the aforementioned assets and returns, I am 41 years old and my assets are greater than $3m but less than $4m.

Happy holidays and all the best in 2014!

* does not include dividends

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Congratulations.

[quote user=Rickson9] I had moved on.
to what ?

[quote user=Rickson9] I do not employ leverage ...
why not ? That would have been smart, as you could have doubled or even quadrupled your investment.

[quote user=Rickson9]

.. I have not purchased any investments in 2013, stocks, real estate or otherwise.
why not ? 2013 was a great year for both.

And in 2014 ?

What do you do for a living ? Or do you live off the real estate cash-flow ?

Rickson9

Registered
[quote user=ThomasBeyer]to what ?

Currently in preliminary discussion with a private business that is seeking to expand. Both debt and equity positions. We will see how it goes.

[quote user=ThomasBeyer]why not ? That would have been smart, as you could have doubled or even quadrupled your investment.

First, nobody has ever accused me of being smart.

Second, as ironic as it may sound, when I invest I focus 10x more on avoiding downside than on achieving potential upside. The upside rarely occurs to me. Which is why I am usually surprised by my returns. My personality avoids debt because it considers doing so to be avoiding downside.

[quote user=ThomasBeyer]why not ? 2013 was a great year for both.

My personality rears it's head again as it considers price increases as a poor environment to invest while price declines are a good environment to invest. Since both real estate and stocks experienced massive price increases in 2013, my personality was unable to find anything worthwhile to invest in.

I believe that this personality trait has helped me in my quest to build wealth with as little effort/work as possible. If I didn't have this mindset I would probably have needed to work in order to make things happen.

No need to work to create assets when I can just wait for a downturn and take them when their owners want to sell at any price.

[quote user=ThomasBeyer]And in 2014 ?

Working on the structure of my involvement in the expansion of the aforementioned private business.

[quote user=ThomasBeyer]What do you do for a living ? Or do you live off the real estate cash-flow ?

My investments are far too passive for me to quit work. I've tried. It's fun for the first week and even a month or two, but after that, sitting in Tim Hortons, wandering the mall, and having lunch with my friends while they're at work gets pretty boring. And my hobbies don't require 14 hours a day. I took a job in sales. Very flexible. Keeps the mind active.

Everything is compounding as planned. It's been an interesting 17 years. I have another 2 decades to go before I enter my 60s. I'm looking forward to it.

Rickson9

Registered
[quote user=Rickson9]As of this posting, the TSX/S&P is up +8%* YTD while my portfolio of U.S. stocks is up at +20% YTD. This is poor compared to the DOW which is up +24%*, the S&P500 which is up +27%* and the NASDAQ which is up +36%*. I always tend to lose to the index during bull markets.

And 2013 comes to a close. My stock portfolio finishes at +23.1%. Happy New Year!

Index performances*

DOW +26.5%

NASDAQ +38.3%

S&P500 +29.6%

S&P/TSX +10.0%

* does not include dividends

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=Rickson9]

My stock portfolio finishes at +23.1%.

Index performances*

DOW +26.5%

NASDAQ +38.3%

S&P500 +29.6%

yikes, you're slacking off.

And unlevered real estate in growth markets like AZ ?

time to rethink both of those (stock market, real estate) investment strategies.

Happy New Year !

Rickson9

Registered
[quote user=ThomasBeyer]

yikes, you're slacking off.

And unlevered real estate in growth markets like AZ ?

time to rethink both of those (stock market, real estate) investment strategies.

Happy New Year !

You got that right! I did absolutely nothing in 2013. But I did play a lot of League of Legends! Free money is really corrupting my spirit. I should really get off my butt sometime. Onward to 2014!

Rickson9

Registered
[quote user=Rickson9]The following are visual representations of my performance over the last 16 years, benchmarked against the S&P500:

Graphical representation

Tabular representation

Forgot to update original post. Here it is:

Graphical representation

Tabular representation

A comfortable average annual rate of return of 15.2% for 16 years.

A total of 6 stocks. 3 held for ~16 years. 1 held for ~8 years. 1 held for ~6 years. 1 held for ~4 years.

The index above does not include dividends whereas my returns include dividends. Adjust accordingly.

24 years until "retirement". Steady as she goes.

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
Love these kinds of stories. Someone who took a chance and has created a nice income from it. I would suggest that he went in with his eyes wide open, knew of the risks and rewards and decided it fit his risk profile and his long term goals.

While there are many who have done this and hit home runs, there are many who didn't do it with the diligence that he did and ended up crashing and burning. So congratulations, and here's to hoping that the US recovery gets settled in for the long run and your story is even better in the years to follow!

Rickson9

Registered
[quote user=DonCampbell]Love these kinds of stories. Someone who took a chance and has created a nice income from it. I would suggest that he went in with his eyes wide open, knew of the risks and rewards and decided it fit his risk profile and his long term goals.

While there are many who have done this and hit home runs, there are many who didn't do it with the diligence that he did and ended up crashing and burning. So congratulations, and here's to hoping that the US recovery gets settled in for the long run and your story is even better in the years to follow!

Thanks for the kind words Don. All the best to you and yours in the new year!

Top Bottom