Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1 yr lease?

markbrad

Registered
Hi! I have just had both my tenants give notice for the end of Feb. I had signed them to a one year lease that is not up until May, but on reading the lease agreement closer it states the tenant can serve 30 days notice to end the tenancy. I just downloaded the REIN residential tenancy lease agreement, and it too has this clause. Does this mean at any time they can end with 30 days notice, or only after the initial 1 yr lease is up? What is the use in signing someone into a 1 yr lease if they can get out whenever they want?

Thanks for any input!

Mark

RebeccaBryan

Registered
If they have the one year lease they are supposed to be committed to that. I have found that tenants will give notice sometimes before the lease agreement is up. They are responsible for the rent until the lease is up unless you rent it out. You can`t collect from two people at the same time for the same property.

Remember also, you can`t suck blood from a stone and it will likely take you a lot more time and hassle to chase the tenant for money, than it would for you to advertise the property and rent it to someone else.

You are correct, it`s sometimes pointless to sign a 1 year agreement.

markbrad

Registered
So with that said, am I entitled to keep all of the damage deposit??

RebeccaBryan

Registered
If you get it rented for the 1st of March you will have to give it back likely but if you don`t you are entitled to it because they broke the lease. I am not absolutely positive about this but I`m pretty certain. Hopefully others reply to this. If you want to be sure phone the RTDRS or the Landlord and Tenancy Office.

Where is your property?

Top Bottom