Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Yellow Letter phone call took a different turn

GaryMcGowan

Registered
Patlive took a call last night from the yellow letter campaign. I called the caller this morning and she was not interested in selling her home.
However she mentioned she was an investor who was looking to retire from the day to day duties of owning and operating a small real estate portfolio. I explained to her how we use Joint Venture Partners and sometimes hard money lenders.

We are meeting next week for coffee to discuss how she can become a Joint Venture Partner.

This was a good reminder that there can be opportunities at every corner.

tonypeters

Registered
BINGO! There is more than one way to "Buy Houses with No Money Down", and this is one of them! Now all you need to do is take along your "sophisticated investor binder" when you meet with the investor and show them "WHY" they would want to do business with you.

Thanks for taking the time to share your story and...GOOD LUCK!

QUOTE (GaryMcGowan @ Nov 26 2009, 09:07 AM) Patlive took a call last night from the yellow letter campaign. I called the caller this morning and she was not interested in selling her home.
However she mentioned she was an investor who was looking to retire from the day to day duties of owning and operating a small real estate portfolio. I explained to her how we use Joint Venture Partners and sometimes hard money lenders.

We are meeting next week for coffee to discuss how she can become a Joint Venture Partner.

marcp

Registered
Thanks for sharing that Gary, that motivates me to update my... "sophisticated investor binder", as was mentioned by Tony.

And thank you Tony for you replies on my other posts.

Cheers,

cmattric

REIN Member
Exactly same thing happened to me yesterday. They called me about their house in calgary turns out lady owns a 24 unit multiplex in Winnipeg. She wants to talk about selling it. I don`t know the details to convert into deal yet, but who knows whats going to happen.

AlisonKeighan

Registered
And on a yellow letter call I followed up on, although he was a "suspect" as a seller (wanted retail price), it turns out he`s also looking for junkers to rehab. I have happily added him to my Buyers List.

Alison

tonypeters

Registered
You are most welcome Marc!
QUOTE (marcp @ Nov 26 2009, 10:08 AM) Thanks for sharing that Gary, that motivates me to update my... "sophisticated investor binder
", as was mentioned by Tony.

And thank you Tony for you replies on my other posts.

Cheers,

tonypeters

Registered
This is one of the reasons WHY I am always advising real estate investors to "CRANK UP THEIR BUYING MACHINES"! The phone will NOT ring if you do not let people know you are in the business of "BUYING" houses! When people know that, it`s truly amazing what can be accomplished!
The feedback on this thread is great, as it will only help to motivate others!

Tonys TIP:
ALWAYS Be Marketing!

QUOTE (cmattric @ Nov 26 2009, 10:44 AM) Exactly same thing happened to me yesterday. They called me about their house in calgary turns out lady owns a 24 unit multiplex in Winnipeg. She wants to talk about selling it. I don`t know the details to convert into deal yet, but who knows whats going to happen.

MarkTorgerson

REIN Member
QUOTE (GaryMcGowan @ Nov 26 2009, 09:07 AM) Patlive took a call last night from the yellow letter campaign. I called the caller this morning and she was not interested in selling her home.

Great post Gary and I recently had a similar experience. Except in my case, I am the seller. I seen a "I buy houses" type ad in my city and decided to give it a call. Turns out there is a lease to own business that has been here for several years. The conversation led into 4 houses that I have in another city close by that they are interested in purchasing. These are properties that I have owned for 10 years plus and are frankly getting a little "tired". I wouldn`t mind getting them off my plate and focusing elsewhere. My issue with real estate is that I have only learned to buy but never really had an "exit plan". I tried listing them in the spring but the real estate agent was brutal (in my opinion) and was supposedly one of the best in town. No action on the property.

The lease to own company is suggesting (not an offer yet) that we do things a little different (not much) than the Legrand method which is more of a win-win for both of us. They are looking at paying me something around 5% under market value and doing a 3 year lease to own. They would make it a "set" price and not a mortgage balance buyout. What this does for me?
  • It gives me an exit stategy and a great pay day 3 years from now
  • It gets me out of a city I no longer want to be in. No more headaches
  • It allows my mortgage balance to continually be paid down over the next 3 years which works out to thousands. This is a big selling feature for me.
  • No realtor fees. Thousands more!!No mortgage penalties as I can renew to have it fall on the conversion date.What it does for them?

It allows them to buy at under market (even if it is 5%)It allows them to buy in for low cash down and NO BANKS!! This is huge for them!!It allows them to find a RTO tenant at a future appreciated value and make some great cash.
I would encourage that deals can be made right here within the REIN group as many are looking for an exit strategy (or in my case, focus elsewhere) while others are looking at getting into the game.

GaryMcGowan

Registered
Interesting comments Mark,
I don`t think I`m out of line by saying that you are one of the direct targets of the marketing campaign that I and many others have launched. You are an avid investor looking for some added value to your portfolio with little work on your side. I think this is a great opportunity for yourself and maybe a REIN member that is familiar with the local market that your properties are in. I know someone will step up to the plate and create the win - win situation that you mention.
If I where local you would be getting a call from me! Unless your properties are in Ontario then I will be calling you:)

MarkTorgerson

REIN Member
QUOTE (GaryMcGowan @ Nov 26 2009, 09:32 PM) Interesting comments Mark,
I don`t think I`m out of line by saying that you are one of the direct targets of the marketing campaign that I and many others have launched. You are an avid investor looking for some added value to your portfolio with little work on your side. I think this is a great opportunity for yourself and maybe a REIN member that is familiar with the local market that your properties are in. I know someone will step up to the plate and create the win - win situation that you mention.
If I where local you would be getting a call from me! Unless your properties are in Ontario then I will be calling you:)

I think this is a great opportunity for many REIN members to look at this method as a possible exit (entrance) strategy. We are also discussing converting a 12 suite apartment building I own into RTO units. They find the buyers, I do the conversion and sell to them at a discount to market. They make money, I make money. The Legrand students may want to start expanding their target market to investors looking for an exit. You won`t see the huge equity upside as you would on a foreclosure, but there would still be an upside and you could land multiple units at one time.

neill

Airdrie, AB
REIN Member
Congrats Gary, and great thread!

We have run across some landlords as well in our short time buying....

CarrieKoch

Registered
QUOTE (neill @ Nov 28 2009, 12:11 AM) Congrats Gary, and great thread!

We have run across some landlords as well in our short time buying....

I was just calling FSBO`s today and came across and investor with a list of properties for sale!

Top Bottom