Would you invest in this?

Auria

Registered
Hello,

So I have read "Real Estate Investing for Canadians" great book. I plan on joining the group soon. But I have had a possible investment drop into my lap unexpectedly.......and since I have never invested in property before I thought I would see what the group thinks.

The property is located in northern Ontario in the Kawartha Lakes region; there is no more new lakefront property available on that lake.

It is a three bedroom 1 1/2 bath. The owner had it for 8 years and did some renovations including a new sun room. and deck.

Most of the work we would do is purely cosmetic. We would replace the cabinets in the kitchen, and the stove and dishwasher. Take down the brown paneling. There is laminate flooring in most rooms but old carpet in the living room so we would rip up that.

The owner put in a nice 2 person shower with two shower heads but the fixtures are really low end. And the powder room is a horrible color and would need a new fixture and mirror. The toilets and sinks are all new. The windows are all single panes and would need to be replaced.

The bank appraised it at 425,000. But they will sell it to us for 390,000. Three of us would be in joint venture.

There are not very many comparables in the area but we think that if we put 15,000 in reno`s we could flip it and have it on the market by mid April. In time for the spring season.

Based on the limited information, I don`t know exact square footage......and there are also two docks for boats. and a small one room guest house near the water. That we have to find out if it is ok to list it as that.

Thank you for your feedback.

invst4profit

Registered
I don`t see any way to make money on that deal at 390,000.
The reno costs, morgage payments (or loss of income on cash)
hydro, taxes, insurance, real estate commission etc will put
your investment at about 430,000.
I would decide how much profit I would want to make and subtract
that from 390000 to arrive at my purchase price on a easy flip like this
one but remember there are always cost overages so build in extra.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
how long can you hold it ? .. as it takes potentially a long time to sell !!!

get some comps .. what else can you get in the same vicinity from GTA on other lakes ?

some houses sell for 600K, some for 200K some for $1.2M .. do your homework on comparables .. then on your holding costs (mortgage, insurance, heat, break-ins, taxes ...) for 2 years .. then decide !

GarthChapman

Registered
Thomas makes a very, very important point. What you think the Seller will sell for is not what to focus on. Figure out:

1) What it will sell for (not wishful figures, but realistic numbers you will hold yourself accountable to achieve)
LESS
2) What profit you will require (at minimum)
LESS
3) What all your costs will total to (not wishful figures, but realistic numbers you will hold yourself accountable to achieve)
LESS
4) A contingency for the costs you will not have forseen (there will always be unforseen costs, always)
EQUALS
4) What you should pay for the property (at maximum)

Many investors never get this critically important lesson. Once you do it will help to shift your thinking about how to value a prospective property. Use the same concept when valuing long term holds also (substitute cashflow and appreciation expectations for renovation and holding costs on a `flip`.

Hope that helps,

markl

Registered
What Lake is it on? We have been going up since I was born. There are so many factors on a decision such as this. Where did the bank get their comps from for their appraisal they should be able to provide that to you. This is probably the biggest. What is your sell price on the property? Who is going to do the work? If it is one of the partners will they be compensated for it?

These are just a few Thomas and some others have pointed out more.

Regards,