Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Who Pays Condo Fees In RTO`s?

ClintL

Registered
Just wondering, if a RTO deal involves a condo (or condo townhouse), who usually pays the monthly condo maintenance fees - the buyer/tenant or the investor?

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
I write the cheque for condo fees but the rent covers that expense. I have a special RTO clause for condos that requires any special assessments to be paid by the tenant as well.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
The tenant RENTS .. with an option to buy. She/he is not (yet) the owner. The owner pays for property taxes, condo fees, etc. ..

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
I agree, Thomas. That is why I pay the regular condo fees (they are still covered by the rent payment).

I pass along any special assessment expense because often a special assessment will go towards improvements to the complex, so the tenant-buyer will see the benefit of that improvement when they buy.

Also, our RTO clients in single family homes are responsible for repairs, maintenance, and improvements. I realize that this goes against the rules of a standard lease, but an RTO goes beyond a standard lease. Part of the intention of our program is to prepare clients for home ownership.

And frankly, if any of my clients had a problem paying a repair bill it simply means that I accepted the wrong client. If that happened, I would handle it on a case by case basis.

Top Bottom