Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Uninsured/Non registered vehicles on property

Martin1968

Frequent Forum Member
Registered
what exactly is the risk for a landlord by having uninsured/non registered vehicles parked in an assigned parking stall. I have it all covered off in my lease contracts, however never really looked into why this is.
Cars are not salvage cars, just nice cars that aren't in use I assume, and both tenants are excellent tenants. They are not in my way. Can anyone give me a reason why I should deal with this.?

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
They are an eyesore and the risk is a fire as cars use gasoline usually. Either insist on removing it or have it insured by the owner. You can get insurance for inoperational cars to my knowledge.

Like any fire, the risk is remote, but if fire to your building is caused by the uninsured vehicle you might be out $600,000 plus potentially more if people die or get injured because you didn't insist on car insurance. You will be held liable due to negligence or gross negligence, and you cannot get recourse from the tenant usually ( assuming he is not worth $1M+)

adriano

Registered
Also if someone gets hurt because of that vehicle in any way then you will be held liable. I have this in my leases as well and if I find uninsured vehicles I give them a notice and if it dose not move then I tow. I have had insurance companies send risk assessment companies to make sure that my buildings do not have anything they are not happy with and when they come they report back to the insurance company and then the insurance company sends a letter with anything they have questions about or they want corrected. If the insurance company feels that anything they find will put them at risk and you do not fix it they could drop your insurance . That is what could happen with uninsured vehicles

Tina Myrvang

Client Care Lead
Staff member
REIN Member
Uninsured vehicles should be in Public Storage, not on your property!
Totally unacceptable.

Martin1968

Frequent Forum Member
Registered
Dealt with the above issue. Decided to follow the 'human approach' first instead of an official notice.
1 car, turned out,was insured and registered and asked for copy of registration and pink slip insurance. They will put license plate back on right away.
Other car was indeed uninsured and not registered and after explanation to tenant, based on the advise received on this forum, tenant will fully cooperate to have it stored elsewhere.
Thanks again all!

Top Bottom