Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

U.S. slowdown may boost Canada`s real estate market

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
Good one Joe,

Did you know that the US has been in recession for 12.9% of the time between 1962 and 2007... while during that time Canada was only in that position 8% of the time.

So despite economic myths, our economy doesn`t blindly follow that of our neighbours to the south.

joeiannuzzi

Registered
Hi Don

I think I read that recently but do not recall where. This divergence of the economies should continue for the forseeable future. Canada`s economy is resource based whereas the United states is not and there is a worldwide trend to convert from paper assets (i.e. stocks and bonds) to hard assets (something you can touch) such as uranium, gold, oil and real estate. This will keep our economy moving forward and have foreign investors pour money into our currency which is now being called the petroloonie!

terri

Registered
This will keep our economy moving forward and have foreign investors pour money into our currency which is now being called the petroloonie!

the "petroloonie", that`s funny, I remember a time when it was called "the canadian pesos"

markl

Registered
Wow did anyone read the comments below the article. They are so ingrained with bad news a good news article means nothing. Good thing we can see "behind the curtain"

EdRenkema

Registered
Mark I didn`t read those comments till you pointed it out.

The pessimists predict a recession to follow in Canada as well, hypothetically more people will lose jobs, incomes will drop and less houses sold with a depressinsg effect on RE values. So.... does that not increase the rental pool and create upward pressure on rents??
Either way I`m going to stick with the program and continue investing in key areas based on economic fundamentals.

Top Bottom