Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Trekking Triumph

margaretcowan

REIN Member
For years I'd wanted to do it, but wasn't sure I could.

In Italy an athletic friend sometimes leads a trek for four days up and down through mountains and valleys from Piedmont in north west Italy to the Riviera on the sea. 23 km a day.

I've been going to the gym three times a week for five years now and do have some little muscles. I do a lot of walking, but I can't remember ever walking 23 km in a day, never mind four days straight.

This past July 1 to 4, we were 14 Italians and one Canadian, aged 50s to 70s on this trek. The Canadian was usually last in the line of hikers on the trail! Day 3 was pretty challenging---hot, lots of long ascents and descents. As I planted my walking sticks in front of me, I told myself, "I can do it."

That third evening, a fellow hiker, Terenzio, age 72, spry, hadn't needed to train for it like I had, came to dinner wearing a T shirt that said, "It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees." What spirit!

I did the whole trek! A triumph for me! I learned that if you keep fit, have friends to encourage you (and use walking sticks) and believe you can do it, you can go past "physical limits" at any age. Now I'm asking myself, "What will I do next?"

Lessons that apply to real estate investing too.

Cheers

Margaret

Mama Margaret & Friends Cooking Adventures in Italy

www.italycookingschools.com

dplummer

Registered
Way to go Margaret!! It's all about the journey not the destination ENJOY!!

Doug

Top Bottom