Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Think twice before building a second suite

MonteDobson

Registered
In tight times, many homeowners want — or need — an extra source of income. An idea that often gets floated is building and renting out an apartment in the house to help pay the mortgage or make ends meet.

The first problem with this plan is that these apartments are usually illegal, and that’s never a good idea. The second is that, since they aren’t legal, they won’t have permits, and won’t be inspected. And, since a good contractor won’t get involved in building an illegal apartment, they often end up being DIY projects. All of that can add up to disaster.

http://www.canada.com/news/Think+twice+bef...0474/story.html

DaveRhydderch

Registered
Its an interesting article, but as far as I know, you can get permits. The building of a suite in the basement isn`t illegal, its how its used. You could put a suite in the basement and claim "oh my mother in-law or my son is going to live down there". So long as they`re family, its ok.

Perphaps I understand this wrong, but I`m pretty sure this is the case.

housingrental

Registered
I dont think it so if its used as a seperate living unit in all area's it needs to be registered as that (duplex, accs. apt., etc.)

and meet requirements.

Oven = problem if not even if relative occupying

QUOTE (DaveRhydderch @ Mar 26 2010, 11:30 AM)
Its an interesting article, but as far as I know, you can get permits. The building of a suite in the basement isn't illegal, its how its used. You could put a suite in the basement and claim "oh my mother in-law or my son is going to live down there". So long as they're family, its ok.

Perphaps I understand this wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is the case.

BrianPersaud

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Mar 26 2010, 01:41 PM)
I dont think it so if its used as a seperate living unit in all area's it needs to be registered as that (duplex, accs. apt., etc.)

and meet requirements.

Oven = problem if not even if relative occupying

Also, the city wants to collect more property taxes. get more permit fees etc...and when you hide things from the government...u know what happens

Top Bottom